Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
engine78 engine78 is offline

Default subdocument-internal cross-references change in master document

Anybody an idea how to solve the problem that cross-references remain
unambiguous after subdocuments are inserted in a master document?

More details:
I've been trying to use Word for a draft of my thesis. I've written autarkic
subdocuments (WORD2002) with cross-references to numbered headings and
captions (include chapter numbers, heading 1) of equations and figures (e.g.
Figure 1.6) - i.e. cross-referencing of captions just within a subdocument
not between subdocuments.
All fields are proper defined since 'Updating of Fields' (CTRL+A and F9)
returns satisfying results (showing e.g. Figure 2.6 instead of Figure 1.6)
when number of 'numbered heading 1' has changed ( by changing 'Start at' from
1 to 2) provided just respective (sub)document is opened.
However, as soon as (sub)documents are inserted in the master document the
headings, captions are amended by word as one would expect but the
cross-references don't change accordingly. They rather seem to start again at
1 with and in each inserted subdocument which confuses all cross-references
in either documents (master and sub). e.g. a cross-reference in chapter 2
which is supposed to refers to Figure 2.6 is now stated as Figure 1.6 (which
is actually a completely different picture) in the master document since it
refers to the wrong chapter (heading 1).

Has anybody experienced similar problems?
I hope there is a solution to that problem since it prevents the full and
combined utilisation of the Word given functions 'cross-reference' and
'master/subdocument'.

Thank you in advance with the hope somebody knows how to tackle this issue!