Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] jlavery@bigfoot.com is offline

Default Changing heading numbering style in a document

Hi all,
We've got a long document - an operations manual - which has its main
sections numbered:

1 A Section
1.1 A subsection
1.2 Another subsection
2 Another section
2.1 Another subsection
etc.

We want to have appendixes in the same document, numbered:
A An appendix
A.1 Subappendix
B Another appendix
B.1 Another subappendix.
etc.

However, when I change the appendix numbering style, this hits the
whole document, so that all my sections suddenly start being numbered
with letters, rather than numbers.

I've got section breaks etc. helping to restart page numbering at the
start of each section, but this does not seem to stop the above
effect.

Any suggestions, please? I'm using Word 2003.

Thanks,

James

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Define a separate set of styles for your appendix headings, with their own
numbering scheme. Eg if the main part of the document uses Heading 1,
Heading 2, etc, you could use Heading 1A, Heading 2A, etc. If you set the
outline levels for your new headings, they will be included in your TOC in
the same way as the main section headings.

ups.com...