Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
ssb ssb is offline

Default Entire doc gets formatted instead of only the selected text

Hello,

Whenever I select a piece of text and try to format it (bold /
italics / underline / color / bullet etc), the change gets
automatically applied to the entire document. Subsequently, I need to
do "Undo" once so that formatting is retained for my selected text and
reverted for the rest of the document.

Effectively, any simple formatting now requires me to do two steps:
(1) Apply the intended formatting and (2) Do an UNDO so that only the
selected piece of text gets the required format.

This happens irrespective of whether I use Mouse & Toolbar buttons or
Keyboard shortcuts for formatting. I have tried modifying Style
settings, auto format settings etc, but it does not help.

Can this be fixed...? Thanks for your help and attention.