Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] shahar.oleh@gmail.com is offline

Default apply section break with a style

Hi, I'm relatively new to styles in word, so sorry if this is well-
known!

I'd like to apply a section break before the 'Header 1' style, but I
can only see an option to apply a page break.

The reason I want a section break specifically is so that I can make
get html output that is already formatted to my requirements, i.e.
with a div class="Section X" ... /div around each 'Header 1' and
it's 'normal' content.

Any guidance *much* appreciated!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Word does not allow section breaks to be applied by paragraph styles. You
will have to add the section breaks manually.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
Hi, I'm relatively new to styles in word, so sorry if this is well-
known!

I'd like to apply a section break before the 'Header 1' style, but I
can only see an option to apply a page break.

The reason I want a section break specifically is so that I can make
get html output that is already formatted to my requirements, i.e.
with a div class="Section X" ... /div around each 'Header 1' and
it's 'normal' content.

Any guidance *much* appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi shahar oleh,

Not possible - the nearest you'll get is the page break before. If you need a Section break, you'll have to insert it manually (or
use a macro).

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

wrote in message ...
Hi, I'm relatively new to styles in word, so sorry if this is well-
known!

I'd like to apply a section break before the 'Header 1' style, but I
can only see an option to apply a page break.

The reason I want a section break specifically is so that I can make
get html output that is already formatted to my requirements, i.e.
with a div class="Section X" ... /div around each 'Header 1' and
it's 'normal' content.

Any guidance *much* appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Apr 15, 12:44*pm, "Stefan Blom" wrote:
Word does not allow section breaks to be applied by paragraph styles. You
will have to add the section breaks manually.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message

Oh, ok.
That's pretty lame, but thanks for the info!

Hi, I'm relatively new to styles in word, so sorry if this is well-
known!

I'd like to apply a section break before the 'Header 1' style, but I
can only see an option to apply a page break.

The reason I want a section break specifically is so that I can make
get html output that is already formatted to my requirements, i.e.
with a div class="Section X" ... /div around each 'Header 1' and
it's 'normal' content.

Any guidance *much* appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] shahar.oleh@gmail.com is offline

...or use a macro.
Could you give me some pointers?
thanks

On Apr 15, 12:48*pm, "macropod" wrote:
Hi shahar oleh,

Not possible - the nearest you'll get is the page break before. If you need a Section break, you'll have to insert it manually (or
use a macro).

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]
-------------------------

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How many instances of the Heading 1 style do you expect to have in the
document? Inserting a Section Break is not that difficult that it would
warrant the use of a macro. In any event, as a substitute for a macro, I
would suggest and autotext entry.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
....or use a macro.
Could you give me some pointers?
thanks

On Apr 15, 12:48 pm, "macropod" wrote:
Hi shahar oleh,

Not possible - the nearest you'll get is the page break before. If you
need a Section break, you'll have to insert it manually (or
use a macro).

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]
-------------------------

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

wrote in message

Oh, ok.
That's pretty lame, but thanks for the info!

It may seem like a good idea to have paragraph styles add section breaks.
However, I think it would cause more trouble than it solves! The problem is
that section breaks control many settings in Word: page setup, headers &
footers, and column formatting; I would certainly prefer adding setting
those options explicitly whenever necessary.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] shahar.oleh@gmail.com is offline

The idea is to allow other to create the docs with anywhere from 1 to
20± headers on a regular basis. The idea was to provide useful html
that I need to do the minimum amount of work on as possible...

Is this a job for a macro?

Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

wrote in message

Oh, ok.
That's pretty lame, but thanks for the info!

It may seem like a good idea to have paragraph styles add section breaks.
However, I think it would cause more trouble than it solves! The problem is
that section breaks control many settings in Word: page setup, headers &
footers, and column formatting; I would certainly prefer adding setting
those options explicitly whenever necessary.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

oh, I see, however as the use is primarily outside of Word those
issues are less relevant.
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

wrote in message

Oh, ok.
That's pretty lame, but thanks for the info!

It may seem like a good idea to have paragraph styles add section breaks..
However, I think it would cause more trouble than it solves! The problem
is
that section breaks control many settings in Word: page setup, headers &
footers, and column formatting; I would certainly prefer adding setting
those options explicitly whenever necessary.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

The type isn't relevant for my purposes. thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

wrote in message

Oh, ok.
That's pretty lame, but thanks for the info!

It may seem like a good idea to have paragraph styles add section breaks.
However, I think it would cause more trouble than it solves! The problem
is
that section breaks control many settings in Word: page setup, headers &
footers, and column formatting; I would certainly prefer adding setting
those options explicitly whenever necessary.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

The type isn't relevant for my purposes. thanks

Thanks all for the guidance, looks like Macro's will do the job...

thanks again for your time!