Shirley

Default Can't understand my document

Im using word 2003 when i open a saved document its just loads of small boxes
instead of characters, it asked me to install a converter or something when i
first opened the document and i think thats got something to do with it but
how do i get my document back?

thanks
Shauna Kelly

Hi Shirley

I can think of two possibilities here.

First, close whatever is open now (do not save it). File Open. Make sure
the "Files of type" box says "Word documents". Now, try again.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then perhaps this is not a Word document.
What is the full name of the file? Are the last four characters .doc? If
not, it might not be a Word document and Word may not be able to recognize
it.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Shirley" wrote in message
Im using word 2003 when i open a saved document its just loads of small
boxes
instead of characters, it asked me to install a converter or something
when i
first opened the document and i think thats got something to do with it
but
how do i get my document back?

thanks

Shirley

Hi Shauna

Ive just done what you said and the documents still the same... its
strange!! the document was done using word, and i tried opening the file
which was under 'office file' and its still all small boxes.

"Shirley" wrote in message
Im using word 2003 when i open a saved document its just loads of small
boxes
instead of characters, it asked me to install a converter or something
when i
first opened the document and i think thats got something to do with it
but
how do i get my document back?

thanks

garfield-n-odie

Did you save the file to a floppy disk or other removable media?
If so, the file could be corrupt, which would explain why you
can't open it again.