Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
writer writer is offline

Default How do I join two different Word 2007 documents?

I would like to preserve the source document formatting. Can this be extended
to joining multiple Word 2007 documents?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Open document 1 and go to the end and insert a section break next page
followed by the enter key. Now use Insert, File to add the second document.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"writer" wrote in message
news
I would like to preserve the source document formatting. Can this be
extended
to joining multiple Word 2007 documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
writer writer is offline

Thankjs, I was able to join files but in Word 2007 I had to use
Insert/Object/Text from File. However I am finding issues with the formatting
not being preseved. Is there something I need to specify in order to keep the

"writer" wrote:

I would like to preserve the source document formatting. Can this be extended
to joining multiple Word 2007 documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson[_3_] Tom Ferguson[_3_] is offline

I suspect rather strongly that, when you used "Insert/Object/Text from
File" that the command actually did insert the text from the file; no
formatting was kept. That is the meaning of the "Text from File" part.

Read Terry's reply.

You can also open both documents in Word. In the document into which you
want the formatted text from the second document to appear, navigate to
the end and create a section break. Go to the second document and
highlight all the text. Go back to the insertion point (after the section
break) in the first documents and paste.

Other methods can be used. You might also want to check out Insert file
in the help tool.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"writer" wrote:

I would like to preserve the source document formatting. Can this be
extended
to joining multiple Word 2007 documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Unfortunately, that's what Insert File command has become in Word 2007 (I'm
not sure of the logic of changing something as simple as Insert Text to
Insert, Object, Text from File as it implies to me that it doesn't bring
across formatting, graphics, etc.; however it does).

Can you give some examples of what formatting is not being retained when you
do this please?

Terry

"writer" wrote:

I would like to preserve the source document formatting. Can this be
extended
to joining multiple Word 2007 documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson[_3_] Tom Ferguson[_3_] is offline

Woops. Those are of the 'famous last words' category.

I am going to have to eat many of my words. That is my penalty for
keyboarding from the top of my head with neither sufficient thought nor
checking of recollections.

Insert Text does keep formatting. Which formatting is kept depends on how
much is included in the selected text. E.g., select a few words from the
midst of a paragraph without selecting the paragraph mark and paragraph
formatting is not retained. Similarly, formatting information is kept
with section breaks and the final paragraph mark. If these are not
selected along with the relevant text, formatting of various types will
be lost.

My suggestion to read what Terry wrote stands. In Word use, I have
considerable experience with certain uses but not with others. So, I
defer to him and Suzanne and many others here who are much more
experienced in Word use.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007