A Word for the blind

Default I cannot view pictures in word

I have installed Office 2003 Professional and cannot view any kind of picture
or clip art in Word. Blank white spaces appear and if I click on them the
resizing handles show up as if a picture were there but they are not visable.
The picture Toolbar allows me to click on an icon to insert a picture but
none of the other icons are active at any stage to be able to ajust colour
brightness etc.

I tried "repairing" Word by using the setup disk and this achieved nothing.

HELP offers no help! and searching on the net with the MS USER SUPPORT keeps
telling me the system is too busy. Perhaps everyone else cannot see their
pictures either!