Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Andrew Kennard Andrew Kennard is offline

Default simple payge layout quesion

Hi all

Just curious

What is the purpose of allowing the overall margins in page setup to be a
negative value ?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I don't know how you're getting that to work. When I try it (Word 2003), I
get a message box that says 'The measurement must be between 0" and 22".'

The *paragraph indents* can be set to negative values, even to the point of
letting the text run off the page; but the page margins can't do that.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Andrew Kennard wrote:
Hi all

Just curious

What is the purpose of allowing the overall margins in page setup to
be a negative value ?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In most versions of Word a negative value for the top or bottom page margin
makes it absolute (so it is not affected by the size of the header/footer).
This is not exactly intuitive, but is a Word convention. Negative values are
not accepted for side margins.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
I don't know how you're getting that to work. When I try it (Word 2003), I
get a message box that says 'The measurement must be between 0" and 22".'

The *paragraph indents* can be set to negative values, even to the point

of
letting the text run off the page; but the page margins can't do that.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

so
all may benefit.

Andrew Kennard wrote:
Hi all

Just curious

What is the purpose of allowing the overall margins in page setup to
be a negative value ?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Now that you mention it, I did know that once upon a time. I think I last
used it when I still had Word 6.0.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
In most versions of Word a negative value for the top or bottom page
margin makes it absolute (so it is not affected by the size of the
header/footer). This is not exactly intuitive, but is a Word
convention. Negative values are not accepted for side margins.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
I don't know how you're getting that to work. When I try it (Word
2003), I get a message box that says 'The measurement must be
between 0" and 22".'

The *paragraph indents* can be set to negative values, even to the
point of letting the text run off the page; but the page margins
can't do that.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Andrew Kennard wrote:
Hi all

Just curious

What is the purpose of allowing the overall margins in page setup to
be a negative value ?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The only reason I know about it is that it is mentioned in
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=162235 ("WD97: How to Add a Portrait Page
Number to a Landscape Page"). For whatever reason, I don't believe it is
mentioned in http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...peSection.htm; we
must have figured out a workaround or decided it wasn't needed.

Andrew Kennard wrote:
Hi all

Just curious

What is the purpose of allowing the overall margins in page setup to
be a negative value ?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Andrew Kennard Andrew Kennard is offline

Thanks for the feed back

I was using Word 2000 which allows negative top and bottom margins and I
just wondered why