Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ceallagh ceallagh is offline

Default Word options - save file in this format setting not sticking

Unlike everyone else on earth it seems, I DO want my docs to save as docx
files. But every time I change the setting, it goes back to 1997-03 format.

Someone was having the same sticky problem but in reverse and it was
suggested that they rename a particular Registry key, so I tried that but it
had no effect.

How can I make the setting stick?!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Start regedit. Navigate to the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\Options registry
key. Change the DefaultFormat data value to Docx.

ceallagh wrote:
Unlike everyone else on earth it seems, I DO want my docs to save as docx
files. But every time I change the setting, it goes back to 1997-03 format.

Someone was having the same sticky problem but in reverse and it was
suggested that they rename a particular Registry key, so I tried that but it
had no effect.

How can I make the setting stick?!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If your Word 2007 is defaulting to saving as Word 97-2003 .doc format,
then that key *must* be in there. If that key is not there, then your
Word 2007 is *not* defaulting to save as Word 97-2003 .doc format, and
your problem ahem is not what you describe in your question.

ceallagh wrote:

Unlike everyone else on earth it seems, I DO want my docs to save as docx
files. But every time I change the setting, it goes back to 1997-03 format.

Someone was having the same sticky problem but in reverse and it was
suggested that they rename a particular Registry key, so I tried that but it
had no effect.

How can I make the setting stick?!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Just to be clear, you are talking about saving new documents, aren't you?

If so, saving as docx is the out-of-the-box default and if you are getting
something else you must have explicitly changed something.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

File | Save As Options PT New Users 2 October 13th 07 10:50 PM
Setting the default File format to Office 97-2003 (.doc) Kay_IT Microsoft Word Help 5 September 10th 07 06:26 PM
How do I save a pdf file in Word format sionna Microsoft Word Help 1 May 27th 05 04:02 PM
Word 2003 - Save AS .HTML format does not save to one file Pamhall Microsoft Word Help 1 January 31st 05 04:54 PM
How save Word file in PDF format Diane Formatting Long Documents 3 January 31st 05 02:41 PM