Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
auda19 auda19 is offline

Default Can I build a form that can be completed using a letter merge?

I would like to put together a form where a letter merge can be used to
complete the fields. The main problem is that I would like to lock down the
remainder of the conmtent so users cannot change it. I need to use the
letter merge because often times users need to fill out the forms for 20+
people at a time.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Mail Merge and Document Protection are mutually exclusive. It would however
be possible to use VBA code to accomplish much the same thing using document
variables and docvariable fields rather than mail merge fields.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"auda19" wrote in message
I would like to put together a form where a letter merge can be used to
complete the fields. The main problem is that I would like to lock down
the
remainder of the conmtent so users cannot change it. I need to use the
letter merge because often times users need to fill out the forms for 20+
people at a time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I don't know of a source where I can point you to read up on this specific
application of VBA, but what you would do is insert DOCVARIABLE fields in
the letter in the locations where you want the merged information to appear,
you would protect that document for forms, and then save it as a template.

Then you would have some code that opened the data source and iterated
through the records in the data source, creating a new document from the
template mentioned above and using the information from each field in the
current record to set the values of the document variables that correspond
to each of the DOCVARIABLE fields and after doing that, it would update the
fields in the document so that the information is displayed in those fields
and then save the document and close it before going on to the next record
in the data source and repeating the procedure.

--

"auda19" wrote in message
I would like to put together a form where a letter merge can be used to
complete the fields. The main problem is that I would like to lock down
the
remainder of the conmtent so users cannot change it. I need to use the
letter merge because often times users need to fill out the forms for
20+
people at a time.

Word 2003 pulls up my mail merge template, but doesn't complete the merge into a new Form Letter 1 Sean Steele Mailmerge 1 April 12th 07 11:04 PM
Widow/orphan removal form completed document eggs33 Microsoft Word Help 1 March 7th 07 12:11 AM
prevent form being completed until check box has been selected lccbft Microsoft Word Help 1 April 11th 06 03:54 PM
merge form letter jimmy Mailmerge 1 May 12th 05 04:41 PM
Prevent moving on to next field in a form unless it is completed. GMI Microsoft Word Help 1 April 7th 05 09:57 PM