Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RogerKni RogerKni is offline

Default The previous page # in GO TO should be highlighted.

That way the user who hits Ctrl-G and enters a new number will automatically
overwrite it. He should not have to manually erase the old entry.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

In versions 2003/2007 of Word it IS highlighted
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"RogerKni" wrote in message
That way the user who hits Ctrl-G and enters a new number will automatically
overwrite it. He should not have to manually erase the old entry.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RogerKni RogerKni is offline

Great, I'll upgrade! (Actually, I'll wait for the 2007 version, since it'll
be along so soon.)
Making its upgrades more attractive is the reason MS should remove these
other little gotchas I'm complaining about.

"RogerKni" wrote in message
That way the user who hits Ctrl-G and enters a new number will automatically
overwrite it. He should not have to manually erase the old entry.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

If you haven't looked at Word 2007 yet, you probably should (on a separate
computer) before you do any upgrading. It will be a shock.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"RogerKni" wrote in message
That way the user who hits Ctrl-G and enters a new number will
automatically
overwrite it. He should not have to manually erase the old entry.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid Patrick Schmid is offline

If you haven't looked at Word 2007 yet, you probably should (on a
separate
computer) before you do any upgrading. It will be a shock.

It will give him a chance to start a new long list and then post another
20-30 suggestions

RogerKni, posting like 20-30 things in as many threads for small issues
really isn't well received by the people reading all those messages
(none of us work for Microsoft by the way). You could have made our life
a lot easier if you had aggregated all the bookmark stuff in one post
for example and instead of posting them as suggestions, asked about it.
Obviously consulting Help before posting is also appreciated.

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

--

"RogerKni" wrote in message
That way the user who hits Ctrl-G and enters a new number will
automatically
overwrite it. He should not have to manually erase the old entry.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

So it is. I guess this was fixed behind my back, because I complained about
it for several previous versions. I virtually never used that dialog (and
for that reason), but now perhaps I will.

"RogerKni" wrote in message
That way the user who hits Ctrl-G and enters a new number will

automatically
overwrite it. He should not have to manually erase the old entry.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the

"I

this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RogerKni RogerKni is offline

I've posted 13 suggestions, not "20-30." I regard your exageration as an
indication that other criticisms I've received have been similarly
overstated.

As for the separate thread issue, I went to the Invision forum-software site
a year ago and posted four related suggestions in one thread, and was
thoroughly ranked out for not putting them in seaparate threads, as "any
idiot would know to do." So, I feel like I'm damned if I do and damned if I
don't.

But I believe that, since these are separate suggestions and deserve to be
separately voted on, I was right to submit them as separate threads.

I'd have preferred to submit these to MS's old suggestion box (or whatever
name they used for it), rather than post them on a forum, but MS has
discontinued that site. I wish they'd revive it.

I concede I have been careless in not going over all this to make it more
bulletproof to criticism, and in nmot explaining the particular context of
some of my suggestions. (For instance, about the cursor not appearing in the
right hand Go To box after page is clicked in the left-hand box.) But I
dispute the idea that that's a major flaw in what I've done. For example,
regarding the spaces-forbidden gotcha in Insert Bookmark, it doesn't matter
that I could have found the answer if I were more diligent. The bottom line
is that it would improve Word's friendliness if that gotcha were fixed. These
are all constructive suggestions.

"RogerKni" wrote in message
That way the user who hits Ctrl-G and enters a new number will
automatically
overwrite it. He should not have to manually erase the old entry.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

Ah Suzanne - I might have said something useful at last!!!
`[:-}
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"RogerKni" wrote in message
That way the user who hits Ctrl-G and enters a new number will

automatically
overwrite it. He should not have to manually erase the old entry.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the

"I

this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You say useful things quite often. This time you've said something useful to
me. g

"Pat Garard" apgarard-bigpond:net:au wrote in message
Ah Suzanne - I might have said something useful at last!!!
`[:-}
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
So it is. I guess this was fixed behind my back, because I complained

about
it for several previous versions. I virtually never used that dialog

(and
for that reason), but now perhaps I will.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"RogerKni" wrote in message
That way the user who hits Ctrl-G and enters a new number will

automatically
overwrite it. He should not have to manually erase the old entry.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to

the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

the
"I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

A large part of the problem with the reception for your suggestions is that
this newsgroup was set up to assist people with problems through peer
support. Volunteer users giving their time and experience to other users in
need of quick help. Unfortunately, Microsoft, which hosts the newsgroup,
tacked on to their web interface the idea of giving suggestions to
Microsoft. You are right that as suggestions to Microsoft they are
appropriate. In this case, putting them in a single post would have worked
well for getting them across but would not have allowed individual ones to
be "voted on." I don't know that anyone actually does vote on them; they
don't through the news interface.

Unfortunately, this idea of giving a new task to an already overburdened
support system gives poor results to those who are providing the peer
support. To them, your approach comes across like that of the new kid in
school pointing out how much better things could be done, like they were in
his old school. You are trying to help Microsoft make a better product,
those who responded are trying to help people use the current version as
well as possible. I was initially very annoyed at your posts. I still am,
but at Microsoft and not at you.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

news

"RogerKni" wrote in message
That way the user who hits Ctrl-G and enters a new number will
automatically
overwrite it. He should not have to manually erase the old entry.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
click the
"I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader
and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roger K Roger K is offline

Hi Charles€”I didnt notice your post until two days ago. (Ive had a bad
crash and couldnt check back here until recently.) Ive discovered that
there is a €œSend Feedback on Word€ option in the Help menu in Word 2004,
which Ive acquired on the Mac, so Ill use that in the future. I
congratulate MS on including such a mechanism. Ill also flesh out the
suggestions Ive made here with the additional material Ive been spurred to
create by the criticism Ive received. Maybe that fuller exposition will
result in their being accepted rather than rejected!

However, I too am annoyed at MS for funneling suggestion-box input into your
product-support forum. It should have either set up a separate room on this
site for such Suggestion-box input, or flagged it with prefix-text explaining
its nature, to soften the reaction the regulars here to it. FYI, heres the
link to the first in a pair of data-entry forms that I used:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...4-91038e3eb1e9
) The text there reads:

***
€œFrustrated? Got a great idea? Want to see a new feature?
€œThe Microsoft Community is a public forum where you can submit suggestions
for Microsoft products and see suggestions that others have made. Community
participants vote for suggestions, and Microsoft uses the votes to help
prioritize features in upcoming versions. Each month, Microsoft will respond
to the suggestions with the most votes.
€œStart by entering your suggestion below. We'll search for it in the
community and if your suggestion already exists, you can add your vote to it
instead of posting it again.
€œEnter your suggestion in a brief sentence (4-10 words)
€œExample: Outlook should let me change the meeting organizer.€
***

The above implies that one thread per suggestion was desired. Since I wanted
to avoid repeating myself (a bad idea I now realize), I molded the rest of my
suggestion, beneath the subject line, so that it was a continuation of
it€”i.e., as though the subject line had been the first sentence. And I also
made another decision that would have been OK in other circumstances, but not
he I tried to maintain stylistic consistency between my lead sentence and
the rest of my text. This resulted in an overly terse suggestion. I should
have €œtested the waters€ first by making just a couple of suggestions.

One other annoyance of MSs submission form is that, when it was unable to
post a suggestion to the discussion group due to heavy traffic, it erased the
users data.
=======================

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Roger,

Just by the way, since you also have a Mac‹you may be interested in
Mac-specific newsgroups:
See here for Google/Entourage gateway to newsgroups for MacWord, MacExcel,
and other MS programs for the Mac:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

The Help | Send Feedback in MacOffice goes only to the MacBU (the group
doing MacOffice), not to regular WinOffice. No idea whether feature ideas
travel both ways in that setup.

I think, because of the volume of users, a Help | Send Feedback in WinOffice
would not really be so feasible. The newsgroup system ought to allow repeat
requests to bubble up and actually get evaluated, but I've no idea whether
it works in practice.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

On 9/26/06 6:11 PM, "Roger K" wrote:

Hi Charles‹I didnıt notice your post until two days ago. (Iıve had a bad
crash and couldnıt check back here until recently.) Iıve discovered that
there is a ³Send Feedback on Word² option in the Help menu in Word 2004,
which Iıve acquired on the Mac, so Iıll use that in the future. I
congratulate MS on including such a mechanism.