Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
d t bold d t bold is offline

Default hyphens to dashes

I cannot make the 2 hyphens into a dash work, either before or after typing.
Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you turn it on in AutoFormat As You Type?

(Warning: when that's turned on, any leading hyphen turns into an en-
dash: for instance if you needed to type "strong, -er, -est.")

On Aug 14, 9:08 am, d t bold d t
wrote:
I cannot make the 2 hyphens into a dash work, either before or after typing.
Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

d t bold wrote:
I cannot make the 2 hyphens into a dash work, either before or after
typing. Any ideas?

Go to Tools Options AutoCorrect Options AutoFormat As You Type and
make sure "Hyphens (--) with dash (-)" is checked.

In Word 2007, the path to the dialog is Office button Word Options
Proofing AutoCorrect Options.

There are also default keyboard shortcuts: The en dash (-) is Ctrl+Num -
(that is, the minus sign on the number pad, with NumLock turned on) and the
em dash (-) is Atl+Ctrl+Num - .

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In addition to what the others have said, be aware that the conversion
doesn't occur until after you have "completed" the following word, by typing
a space or punctuation mark.

"d t bold" d t wrote in message
I cannot make the 2 hyphens into a dash work, either before or after
typing.
Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
St.John St.John is offline

Terrific! Suzzane. You have solved the mystery. Why doesn't MS place that
instruction in the help notes, I wonder?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

d t bold wrote:
I cannot make the 2 hyphens into a dash work, either before or after
typing. Any ideas?

Go to Tools Options AutoCorrect Options AutoFormat As You Type and
make sure "Hyphens (--) with dash (-)" is checked.

In Word 2007, the path to the dialog is Office button Word Options
Proofing AutoCorrect Options.

There are also default keyboard shortcuts: The en dash (-) is Ctrl+Num -
(that is, the minus sign on the number pad, with NumLock turned on) and the
em dash (-) is Atl+Ctrl+Num - .

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
St.John St.John is offline

Bravo, Suzanne, you have cleared up the mystery as well as my dashes. Why do
you think that MS word "Help" does not give that instruction?

"d t bold" d t wrote in message
I cannot make the 2 hyphens into a dash work, either before or after
typing.
Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I guess they figured that in the normal course of events this would become
obvious, but I can tell you that it tripped me up when I was trying to
troubleshoot this with a client over the phone. I would have been more aware
of it if I actually depended on this feature, but I don't because I've had
keyboard shortcuts for em and en dashes since many versions back, before
AutoFormat As You Type was introduced.