Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Suppi Suppi is offline

Default Discontinued reading - create ( external ) reading bookmark

Dear all,

reading a lot of huge specifiation documents, I usually do not read
documents in one go.
To continue reading the next day where I stopped reading today, I
would like to mark the place of my latest reading, i.e. set a
bookmark. So when I open the document again the next day, I just press
a shortcut and, voila, the position shows up where I stopped reading.
So far I did not found any way to do this easily.
Could you please help?

Thanks
Christian
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

So long as you can edit the file, you can use Shft+F5 to retrun to the last
point of edit, even after shutdown.
Even adding a space, then save and then close, will be enough of a marker
for Word.
Hope this helps.
DeanH

"Suppi" wrote:

Dear all,

reading a lot of huge specifiation documents, I usually do not read
documents in one go.
To continue reading the next day where I stopped reading today, I
would like to mark the place of my latest reading, i.e. set a
bookmark. So when I open the document again the next day, I just press
a shortcut and, voila, the position shows up where I stopped reading.
So far I did not found any way to do this easily.
Could you please help?

Thanks
Christian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

In fact, you don't have to really edit the document. At the point where you
finish reading it, insert a space and then press Backspace to remove and
click on Save. Word will remember that edit point.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Suppi" wrote:

Dear all,

reading a lot of huge specifiation documents, I usually do not read
documents in one go.
To continue reading the next day where I stopped reading today, I
would like to mark the place of my latest reading, i.e. set a
bookmark. So when I open the document again the next day, I just press
a shortcut and, voila, the position shows up where I stopped reading.
So far I did not found any way to do this easily.
Could you please help?

Thanks
Christian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Well I should have said that you can make an invisible edit: it doesn't have
to be an edit that is seen! Sometimes adding a space may have big
consequences in a document's layout!

Terry

"Suppi" wrote:

Dear all,

reading a lot of huge specifiation documents, I usually do not read
documents in one go.
To continue reading the next day where I stopped reading today, I
would like to mark the place of my latest reading, i.e. set a
bookmark. So when I open the document again the next day, I just press
a shortcut and, voila, the position shows up where I stopped reading.
So far I did not found any way to do this easily.
Could you please help?

Thanks
Christian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Suppi Suppi is offline

Dear all,

thanks a lot for your help.
I'm surprised that this kind of bookmarking is no built-in
functionality of Word.
A "phantom edit" works but makes it a bit clumsy.
Our Documents are under version control, so modifying the document is
no good idea.
But copying it somewhere else will work for me.

Thanks
Christian

reading layout try again chas71 Page Layout 1 April 26th 06 05:36 PM
Newbie question: Reading external files Rhino Microsoft Word Help 1 January 26th 06 11:09 PM
reading bar Todd Microsoft Word Help 0 March 15th 05 05:01 PM
Create a scrolling window to assist in speed-reading. Andrea Page Layout 1 March 14th 05 04:17 PM
reading mac files on a pc jinty Microsoft Word Help 2 December 12th 04 08:09 PM