Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MikeB[_2_] MikeB[_2_] is offline

Default Label Merge, I'm going crazy!

I'm stuck and really need some help.

Yesterday I spent considerable time creating the document layout for a
label merge. I was using the step-by-step wizard and going back and
forwards until I thought I had it "just right" and then I printed the
labels and saved the document.

Today I needed to make changes and opened the document again. As luck
would have it, I changed the underlying spreadsheet (adding more
columns), so I got an error message that the fields were not matching.
I messed around and got the fields matched up, but then it seemed I
had to apply the changes manually to every one of the labels on the
page (30 in all). Doing that messed up something else, but then I
luckily found the "Next record" command(?) and that fixed everything I
thought. So I printed the document again and thought I was set.

Well no, I messed up something by copying the first label to the other
labels and had to redo. This time I had to change the 2nd and
subsequent labels, but copying the 2nd label to the 3rd label position
made it have the data for the 2nd label position, and if I then
inserted a "Next record" field, I got the 4th record.

So how is one supposed to edit or work with the source document for a
label merge?

Fortunatley my hair is very short, so I'm not tearing it out, but my
stress level is rapidly rising to unhealthy levels.