Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MF Scheetz MF Scheetz is offline

Default Data Source Problem

I've got an Access 2K DB on my server and it merges to many (40+) word 2K
documents. The problem is half my users have the selected server mapped as
L: the other half have it as K:.

I've set up the database merges on my system, using the mapped L: drive.
All users with their computers mapped to L: can merge the documents with no
problems. Users with the drive mapped to K: open the merge documents but the
documents cannot find the source data.

I'm assuming this is because of the mapping.

Is there any way to get all users to merge the documents with out mapping
all drives to L:?

Can word be programmed to look for the UNC path and not the mapped path?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I'd have to experiment here, but
a. Are you connecting using DDE or ODBC?
b. have you tried doing the connection by specifying the UNC path then
distributing the app?
c. I'm assuming you're connecting manually, but maybe you are, or could be,
connecting programmatically?

Peter Jamieson

"MF Scheetz" wrote in message
I've got an Access 2K DB on my server and it merges to many (40+) word 2K
documents. The problem is half my users have the selected server mapped
as
L: the other half have it as K:.

I've set up the database merges on my system, using the mapped L: drive.
All users with their computers mapped to L: can merge the documents with
no
problems. Users with the drive mapped to K: open the merge documents but
the
documents cannot find the source data.

I'm assuming this is because of the mapping.

Is there any way to get all users to merge the documents with out mapping
all drives to L:?

Can word be programmed to look for the UNC path and not the mapped path?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MF Scheetz MF Scheetz is offline

a. DDE
b. I don't know how to specify the UNC in Word. I only know how to connect
with the Mail Merge Helper ( I hate helpers/wizards, its just that I don't
know another way to link the db to the word doc.)
c. How do I connect programmatically in Word?

"MF Scheetz" wrote in message
I've got an Access 2K DB on my server and it merges to many (40+) word 2K
documents. The problem is half my users have the selected server mapped
as
L: the other half have it as K:.

I've set up the database merges on my system, using the mapped L: drive.
All users with their computers mapped to L: can merge the documents with
no
problems. Users with the drive mapped to K: open the merge documents but
the
documents cannot find the source data.

I'm assuming this is because of the mapping.

Is there any way to get all users to merge the documents with out mapping
all drives to L:?

Can word be programmed to look for the UNC path and not the mapped path?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

OK, I can't check in Word 2000 right now, but the following works OK on WOrd
2003 on a WinXP box:

(b)

When you get to the Open Data Source dialog box, type in the UNC name (i.e.
don't try to select the .mdb file from a list). e.g. I just used

\\Myserver\netshare\a.mdb

However, I have a feeling that there may be more to it than that in Word
2000, e.g. you may have to take account of

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313551/en-us

c. How do I connect programmatically in Word?

Issue an OpenDataSource call, e.g. with your mail merge main document open,
use

Sub COnnectToMyDB()

ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource _
Name:="\\Myserver\netshare\a.mdb", _
Connection:="TABLE mytable", _
SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM [mytable]"

End Sub

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm

if you're unfamiliar with creating VBA code.

Peter Jamieson