Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
newbie on Entourage newbie on Entourage is offline

Default HELP! My right margin expands...

When I open a dot-template (which was made in Word on a PC) in my Word for
Mac 2004, the right margin is expanded by 5 cm or so. I've looked in Page
Lay-out, margins, page border, but nothing has helped me so far...

I've never had this problem before. There's a macro in the document, and if
I disable the macro, the documents looks perfect for a couple of seconds -
but then I can't printsuddenly the right boundary expands again.

I can't print the document - the document scales down to include the empty
white border on the right side.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The most likely explanation is that the document contains "markup" (Tracked
Changes or comments), and the margin space is being allowed for the
"balloons."

"newbie on Entourage" wrote in
message ...
When I open a dot-template (which was made in Word on a PC) in my Word for
Mac 2004, the right margin is expanded by 5 cm or so. I've looked in Page
Lay-out, margins, page border, but nothing has helped me so far...

I've never had this problem before. There's a macro in the document, and

if
I disable the macro, the documents looks perfect for a couple of seconds -
but then I can't printsuddenly the right boundary expands again.

I can't print the document - the document scales down to include the empty
white border on the right side.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi newbie,

It sounds like there are tracked changes in the template (or Word 2004
thinks there are) and so Word is reserving space in the margin for the
comment/change balloons. For viewing, uncheck View | Markup and see if
it fixes. For printing, try using File | Print, change Copies & Pages to
Microsoft Word, and in the Print Dialog, under Print What, set it to
Document and make sure it is not Document showing Markup.

I'm on a Mac, and that is a known issue with Word 2004 (although I
thought an update had fixed it), but if that doesn't fix it, then I
think you'll be better off re-posting the question in the Mac-specific
newsgroups, where you will reach lots of Mac users.
See here for Google/Entourage gateway to newsgroups for MacWord,
MacExcel, and other MS programs for the Mac:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

Technically, you *could* reach the Mac groups from the MS website you
are currently on, but I don't know how, because the MS sites don't work
so well on the Mac anyhow and are a bit hard to navigate---you'd have to
search hard for them. I'd say just use Google Groups, with the link above.

hope that helps,
Daiya

newbie on Entourage wrote:
When I open a dot-template (which was made in Word on a PC) in my Word for
Mac 2004, the right margin is expanded by 5 cm or so. I've looked in Page
Lay-out, margins, page border, but nothing has helped me so far...

I've never had this problem before. There's a macro in the document, and if
I disable the macro, the documents looks perfect for a couple of seconds -
but then I can't printsuddenly the right boundary expands again.

I can't print the document - the document scales down to include the empty
white border on the right side.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

PS to previous response--If imaginary or real markup is the problem,
Accepting all Changes on the Reviewing Toolbar should also fix it.

Side note--templates on the Mac work differently than in Windows. On
Windows, you can double-click a template to create a doc based on it,
but on the Mac, you have to use File | Project Gallery to create a doc
based on a template. And unfortunately the Project Gallery can only see
certain folders where it expects templates to be--so Applications/MS
Office/Templates/My Templates is a good place to put them.

So make sure you don't open and edit the template on the company servers
and annoy the person who made it.

newbie on Entourage wrote:
When I open a dot-template (which was made in Word on a PC) in my Word for
Mac 2004, the right margin is expanded by 5 cm or so. I've looked in Page
Lay-out, margins, page border, but nothing has helped me so far...

I've never had this problem before. There's a macro in the document, and if
I disable the macro, the documents looks perfect for a couple of seconds -
but then I can't printsuddenly the right boundary expands again.

I can't print the document - the document scales down to include the empty
white border on the right side.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

yeah, it's a quirk that trips up a lot of people. If using the Project
Gallery gets annoying, once the template is in the right place you can
record a macro of yourself using the Project Gallery to open it, for
quick access. See Help on record a macro.

Where you might run into problems is if the template is kept on a
company server and the person who made it updates the one on the server,
then you have to remember to re-copy the new version. In such a case, I
believe, you could use Word | Preferences | File Locations and set
Workgroup Templates to point at a space on the company server, and then
Project Gallery will also see that space and the templates (when the
server is connected), and you'll always get the most up-to-date copy.
I'm not in a company so don't have a lot of experience with this one.