Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy is offline

Default opening docs with footers open for editing?

Is there a way to force Word to open all documents with the Edit Footer
dialog also opened for editing? I have to correct footers on a very large
number of docs and would like to reduce the number of tedious steps to under
a zillion mouse clicks if possible.

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

You could add a macro named AutoOpen to your Normal.dot while you are making
the changes to the footers €“ an AutoOpen macro will run each time you open an
existing document, not when you create new documents. The macro below can be
used €“ it switches to Print Layout view, goes to the first footer in the
document and displays the the Header and Footer toolbar:

Sub AutoOpen()

With ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View
.Type = wdPrintView
.SeekView = wdSeekCurrentPageFooter
End With

End Sub

You can copy the entire macro and paste it into a module of your Visual
Basic editor.

You should remove (or rename) the AutoOpen macro when finished with you
corrections since it will affect all documents you open (however, you can
prevent the AutoOpen macro from running if you press and hold the Shift key
while opening a document).

Note that if you are going to make the same changes to all your document
footers, it is possible to create a macro for this job too.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"JustSomeGuy" wrote:

Is there a way to force Word to open all documents with the Edit Footer
dialog also opened for editing? I have to correct footers on a very large
number of docs and would like to reduce the number of tedious steps to under
a zillion mouse clicks if possible.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad I could help you.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg