Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StonyCreeker StonyCreeker is offline

Default button for a command from a dialog box

How do you add a button to a toolbar for a command that you select from a
dialog box?

I'd like to have a button to label text as "Do not check spelling or
grammar". To do that now, I need to highlight the text, select
Tools/Language/Set Language, and then check the box marked "Do not check
spelling or grammar". I'd like a button that would mark the highlighted text.

Can it be done?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:05:17 -0700, StonyCreeker
wrote:

How do you add a button to a toolbar for a command that you select from a
dialog box?

I'd like to have a button to label text as "Do not check spelling or
grammar". To do that now, I need to highlight the text, select
Tools/Language/Set Language, and then check the box marked "Do not check
spelling or grammar". I'd like a button that would mark the highlighted text.

Can it be done?

Create a new character style that consists of just the default paragraph font
plus "Do not check spelling or grammar". Then you can create a toolbar button to
apply that style to the selected text (in the Customize dialog, pick the Styles
category and drag the new style to a toolbar; see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...ToToolbar.htm).

Hint: To get the style's definition to accept the "Do not check" attribute, you
must also choose a language in the same dialog. Since it isn't going to be
checked, though, it makes little difference what language you choose.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I have to say that the first time I actually tried doing this, I found it
very anomalous that you can't assign "no proofing" to a character style
without selecting a language. Not terribly logical, IMO.

wrote:

[...]

so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StonyCreeker StonyCreeker is offline

Jay and Suzanne,

Your suggestion worked well but has one side effect. Whether I base the
style off of the Normal style or (no style), applying the new style changes
the font to the default including size, etc.

Can this be avoided or have I implemented your suggestion incorrectly?

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you're creating a character style, you need to base it on Default
Paragraph Font rather than Normal (which will be a paragraph style). More on
this at http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm

wrote:

[...]

newsgroup
so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StonyCreeker StonyCreeker is offline

Still switches the font.

I see that I misread Jay's post and made a paragraph stye instead of a
character style but unfortunately fixing that has made no difference.

Is the Default Paragraph Font the "universal" default font I've choosen for
Word in general or the "default" font for the paragraph whose text I'm
altering?

My default font is Times New Roman. If I apply the new character style to
text with another font (Arial). it does mark it as "don't proof" but also
changes it to Times NR. It also clears other attributes like bold.

I tried basing it on the (underlying properties) but that has the same effect.

Is there something else I could try?

Thanks,

Suggestions

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For an explanation of the Default Paragraph Font, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/DefParaFont.htm. When you opt to
create a character style (that is, choose Character instead of Paragraph in
the New Style dialog), Word should automatically choose Default Paragraph
Font to base it on.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StonyCreeker StonyCreeker is offline

Well, I solved my own problem and it was fairly easy. I should have tried it
in the first place.

1) Type some random text and select it
2) Go to Tools/Macro/Record New Macro...
3) Give the Macro a nice name with no spaces (I chose NoProofing)
4) Click OK (The "Stop Recording" toolbar pops up)
5) Go to Tools/Language/Set Language...
6) Click "Do not check spelling or grammar"
7) (In consideration of the tip from Jay) Click on a Language (I just chose
English)
8) Click OK
9) Click "Stop Recording" on the "Stop Recording" toolbar
10) Right click a toolbar and select "Customize..."
11) Select "Macros" from the "Categories:" list on the "Commands" tab
12) Drag the new macro from the "Commands:" list to the toolbar of your choice
13) Right click on the button and change its appearance however you'd like
I copied the button image from the spell check button and edited it to
put a
red X accross it.

Now I just select the text I don't want checked, click the button, and
!Hooray! no more wavy lines even if I send the document to someone else
The font and all other formatting I can see seems completely unchanged.