Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Giantpro Giantpro is offline

Default search and replace using wildcards

The Replace With tect contains a group mumber which is out of range. is the
error I get when trying to select everything between quotes to be bold....
any suggestions?
I am using wildcards * with exception \.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
finalword finalword is offline

First, make sure "Replace straight quotes with Smart quotes" is checked, on
the "AutoFormat As You Type" tab under Tools | Autocorrect Options. Then
replace " with " (all the quotation marks with tehmselves), which will
replace any straight quotes in the document with smart quotes.

Now do your wildcard Find/Replace
In the Find What box, your text needs to be:
(")(*)(")
Note that your quotes MUST be smart quotes! I usually copy them from the
document and paste them in to the Find What box

Your Replace with text needs to be:
\2
and while your cursor is in the Replace with line, select the Format button
(if you don't see it, click MORE and then the Format button) Select Font and
choose BOLD

Make sure Use wildcards is checked and Replace all

FYI...you may end up with a few left over opening smart quotes which you can
remove by finding the Opening smart quote (remember, copy from the doc) and
replacing it with notihing (make sure to turn off the formatting in the
replace box by clicking the No Format button).

"Giantpro" wrote:

The Replace With tect contains a group mumber which is out of range. is the
error I get when trying to select everything between quotes to be bold....
any suggestions?
I am using wildcards * with exception \.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

What are your search and replace strings?