Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NancyM NancyM is offline

Default CREATEDATE field does not change with Save As

I am using Word 2000. I have a template with the date entered using the
CREATEDATE field. I create a new doc using Save As. The CREATEDATE field
does not change unless I press F9. Is there a way to have the CREATEDATE
field update without the user pressing additional keys.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
finalword finalword is offline

I hate to ask, but is this actually saved as a template (.dot) file? Where
is the CREATEDATE field located (header/footer or main doc).

You could try adding an AutoNew macro to your template such as:

Sub AutoNew()

Dim aStory As Range
Dim aField As Field

For Each aStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
For Each aField In aStory.Fields
aField.Update
Next aField
Next aStory

End Sub

This would make sure that all new documents created with the template
updated all the fields.

"NancyM" wrote:

I am using Word 2000. I have a template with the date entered using the
CREATEDATE field. I create a new doc using Save As. The CREATEDATE field
does not change unless I press F9. Is there a way to have the CREATEDATE
field update without the user pressing additional keys.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

No - most fields will only update when an update is forced. The simplest
answer is to add an update macro to your toolbar and click it when you have
made any changes - use the sample code at

Or you could switch to print preview and back.