Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SlickRCBD SlickRCBD is offline

Default Is it possible to put a word count in the status bar of Word 97 likein 2003?

I'm spoiled by using Word 2003 for the last 6 years. Is there any way
to put a "live" word count in the status bar of Word 97 like it has by
default in Word 2003 so I don't have to keep going through the menus?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

You certainly can with W2007 and W2010, but I seem to remember it was
missing in W2003. But if you go to Tools, Word Count, the Word Count dialog
appears. Click on Show Toolbar. The Word Count will display on the toolbar.
But note that it is not dynamic and you need to press the Recount button to
refresh it.

If you search Google, you'll find that some users have create a utility to
display Word Count that you can download and install.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"SlickRCBD" wrote in message
I'm spoiled by using Word 2003 for the last 6 years. Is there any way
to put a "live" word count in the status bar of Word 97 like it has by
default in Word 2003 so I don't have to keep going through the menus?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SlickRCBD SlickRCBD is offline

I mistyped the message as I was thinking of my own systems. I meant
the word count they have in the labs for a class I"m taking for a
better college degree at night school using Word 2007 and I wanted to
display such a thing in Word 2003 and/or Word 97 at home.

You answered my misphrased question concisely, that it didn't exist
before Word 2007.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly as it was a last-minute thing I
posted before going to bed and I didn't proof it like I should have. I
feel like an AOLer newbie rather than a semi-experienced user. I only
say semi because while I've been using Word and Office Writer since
1998, I rarely use many advanced features and almost never any unique
features. Just what was required to get my associates and bachelor's
degree in the early 2000s, and an automatic word count feature would
have been handy instead of having to modify normal.dot to put the
properties button on the toolbar and keep hitting it every couple
paragraphs or even sentences.