PeterK

Default Convert graphics from bmp to gif in 20 docs

I've been presented with 20 Word files (over 21Mb) where the author has
inserted screenshots using alt + prt scn and ctrl + v. I estimate that
converting the graphics (24bit) to 8 colour (6 bit?)gif's and reducing the
"bpi" will cut the document sizes down by 60+%.

So far the only method I have identified is to save each doc as an html
file, batch convert the image files to gif , perform a find and replace of
*.jpg to *.gif on the html doc and the index file , open the html doc and
save as a Word doc. The files are heavily hyperlinked and bookmarked and
indexed and I don't want to lose these features.

Have I identified the only solution or is there a better way? - my current
method is far quicker than a cut , reformat and paste back image by image.

Jay Freedman

Hi Peter,

At http://www.lebans.com/msword.htm Stephen Lebans has a template containing
code that can extract a graphic from a document directly to either a BMP or
an EMF. The EMF format is very compact.

The macro as it is will extract only the one selected graphic, but it looks
like it could be adapted to go through a whole document, extracting each
graphic to an EMF in a temp folder and then inserting that file to replace
the original. I'll try to find some time to tinker with it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

PeterK wrote:
I've been presented with 20 Word files (over 21Mb) where the author
has inserted screenshots using alt + prt scn and ctrl + v. I
estimate that converting the graphics (24bit) to 8 colour (6
bit?)gif's and reducing the "bpi" will cut the document sizes down by
60+%.

So far the only method I have identified is to save each doc as an
html file, batch convert the image files to gif , perform a find and
replace of *.jpg to *.gif on the html doc and the index file , open
the html doc and save as a Word doc. The files are heavily
hyperlinked and bookmarked and indexed and I don't want to lose these
features.

Have I identified the only solution or is there a better way? - my
current method is far quicker than a cut , reformat and paste back
image by image.

Margaret Aldis

Before you do this you might want to look at how the bmps have been inserted
in the document. Sometimes screenshots get inserted as editable objects and
that really balloons the file size. You can check easily by turning field
codes on (Alt-F9) - if the bitmaps have been inserted as objects you'll see
an "EMBED" code with the name of the object editing tool.

Unlinking the fields (Ctrl-6 or Ctrl-Shift-F9) should give you a normal
image in the file.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP