Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Keith Robinson

Default Why is Word slow to list printers

At UCL, London we run want to run Word 2003 on Terminal Servers with over
400 network printers available to each server. When Excel 2003 is asked to
print something it only needs to access a few hundred registry keys. When
Word 2003 has to do the same task it accesses tens of thousands of registry
keys and can take a minute or so. When I limit the number of printers to
about 100, Excel will read 650 keys, Word 10000 keys. Excel reads 3 keys per
printer, Word reads over 100 keys per printer, having read 3000 keys before
it starts on the lop for each printer. It reads User Shell Folder,
Mountpoints and other semingly unrelated keys many time for each printer. We
need to speed this up before we can release Word 2003 to our thousands of
users.