Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alison

Default Fixing Corruption in Round-tripped Documents

I work frequently with lengthy documents that are round-tripped to several
people using different versions of Word and other word processing software.
Often, these documents go corrupt.

Is there any way -- short of copying-pasting the text into a new document
shell using EditPaste Special/Unformatted Text -- that the corruption can be
removed? There are frequent occasions when extensive direct formatting
(i.e., selective bolding, italicizing, underlining, etc.) has been used,
which I would like to preserve in a new document, given the size of the
documents I get and the amount of time it would take to reapply this
selective formatting. But Paste Special/Unformatted strips all of this, and
Paste Special/Formatted doesn't appear to remove the corruption.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.
--
Alison
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cooz

Hi Alison,

Try copy and paste the entire document _except_ the last paragraph mark.
This is where corruption often resides.

Good luck,
Cooz
--
PS: If this is a satisfying answer to your question and you're logged in via
the Microsoft site, please click Yes to "Did this post answer the question?".

"Alison" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alison

Thanks, but I'd like to see if there's a way other than using Paste
Special/Unformatted -- in order to retain the selective direct formatting.
Is there a way to import the document into a new container, while retaining
the direct formatting?
--
Alison

"Alison" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alison

Sorry for the misunderstanding. So, I can just do a simple paste, without
the final paragraph mark and that will take care of it?
--
Alison

"Alison" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's a start. Also see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm
for other approaches. If you have Word 2003, just use Open and Repair.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Cooz did not suggest that you paste unformatted, just without the final
paragraph mark.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.