Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frustrated Secretary

Default Problems reformating book chapters using section breaks

I have a book that was created with each chapter as an individual file. Each
chapter has endnotes. I need to combine all chapters, putting all endnotes
at the end of the new document, with each chapter's endnotes beginning with
#1 . I received information last week from you indicating to "set endnote
numbering for each chapter to 'restart each section'." Okay. But was also
told to "Compile all the indivudal chapter files into a single document,
separated by section breaks." Word will not allow me to add a section break
at the end of each chapter because the chapter ends in the endnotes. I have
tried to insert the next chapter putting a section break at the beginning of
the next chapter, but that doesn't work either. It just continues in the
endnotes. Any assistance would be most appreciated!!! Must be done by Monday.
Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
marrie

Hello. Have you tried putting a line break before starting a new section?
"Frustrated Secretary" wrote
in message ...
I have a book that was created with each chapter as an individual file.
Each
chapter has endnotes. I need to combine all chapters, putting all
endnotes
at the end of the new document, with each chapter's endnotes beginning
with

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It is much easier to do this if you work in Normal view (where you can't see
the endnotes), but if you're working in Print Layout view, you have to
actually insert the section break *before* the endnotes. Moreover, if you
compile all the chapters first, then all the endnotes should pile up at the
end of the whole document, anyway. Then you insert the section breaks,
suppress the endnotes, set them to restart each section, etc.