John Barnes

Default Joining two tables in the same section

Sometimes when one has a table on one page and another table on the next
page, it seems impossible to join the two tables together. This can happen
when one table overflows onto the next page even with the same table
properties.
--
John G. Barnes
Richard Neville

The secret in joining them is to find the non-table paragraph mark that
separates them. Turn on Show Paragraphs to find it, then delete it. Also
watch for commands in the Paragraph menu such as Keep with next or Page
break before. If these are checked, you can join the tables but the page
break may not be where you want it.

"John Barnes" wrote in message
Sometimes when one has a table on one page and another table on the next
page, it seems impossible to join the two tables together. This can happen
when one table overflows onto the next page even with the same table
properties.
--
John G. Barnes

John Barnes

thanks for your reply , but first of all I always work with the paragraph
markers on and it makes NO difference ticking or unticking ANY of the boxes
in the PARAGRAPH menu under the lines and page breaks tab, Ticking the page
break before as you suggest will certianly have the opposite effect and will
never allow the tables to merge. Still its another WORD mystery its a real
pain as if I have split the tables previously then add more rows in one table
which overflows into the next page. Then it pushes down the page the heading
row one of the second table. You CANNOT then join these two split tables. One
has to add blank rows to the second table then cut and paste text into the
new rows. then cut and paste the heading row to the top of the new table and
delete the old heading row(the one pushed/displaced down the second page)
Finally deleting the old row that used to have the old heading which was the
fisrt row on the second table before it was pushed down by the overflowing
table on the previous page
"John Barnes" wrote:

Sometimes when one has a table on one page and another table on the next
page, it seems impossible to join the two tables together. This can happen
when one table overflows onto the next page even with the same table
properties.
--
John G. Barnes

Two corrections:

1. "Page break before" does *not* split the table. The table is continuous,
allowing headings to be repeated.

2. If a row in the middle of the table is designated as a heading row, then
no, you won't be able to merge the tables; only the top row(s) of the table
can be designated as heading row(s).

"John Barnes" wrote:

Sometimes when one has a table on one page and another table on the next
page, it seems impossible to join the two tables together. This can

happen
when one table overflows onto the next page even with the same table
properties.
--
John G. Barnes

John Barnes

Thankyou for your email, but the problem persists. I have two split tables
with the same properties I delete the page break and when I try and join the
tables its impossible to delete the paragraph marker sitting between the two
tables making it impossible to join the tables !!!!! its a pity I cant send
you the document by attachment then you could see!!!

"John Barnes" wrote:

Sometimes when one has a table on one page and another table on the next
page, it seems impossible to join the two tables together. This can happen
when one table overflows onto the next page even with the same table
properties.
--
John G. Barnes

Marc

I have the same problem. When I have a table and split it for better
pagination then realize that I want the table split elsewhere. I cannot merge
the table back to its original state. I have attempted everything in this
string of communications but nothing works.

Marc

"John Barnes" wrote:

Sometimes when one has a table on one page and another table on the next
page, it seems impossible to join the two tables together. This can happen
when one table overflows onto the next page even with the same table
properties.
--
John G. Barnes

Stefan Blom

Assuming that both tables have their "Text wrapping" set to "None" (in
TableTable Properties, Table tab), you should be able to merge the
two tables by deleting the paragraph mark that separates them.

--
Stefan Blom