Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
annagram annagram is offline

Default How do I create a traditional number-style academic reference?

Maybe it's an English thing, but none of the citation/reference options are
the one I need. I'd like a small number to pop up with the corresponding
reference at the bottom of the page. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_2_] Gordon[_2_] is offline

"annagram" wrote in message
Maybe it's an English thing, but none of the citation/reference options
are
the one I need. I'd like a small number to pop up with the corresponding
reference at the bottom of the page. Any ideas?

If you are using Word 2007 (and you omitted this fairly vital piece of
information) put your cursor in the text where you want the reference and
click on the References tab and in the Footnote panel click on "Insert
Footnote". that should do what you want...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Reitanos Reitanos is offline

It sounds like you're talking about a footnote: Insert/Reference/
Footnote

On Aug 26, 3:00*pm, annagram
wrote:
Maybe it's an English thing, but none of the citation/reference options are
the one I need. *I'd like a small number to pop up with the corresponding
reference at the bottom of the page. *Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_2_] Gordon[_2_] is offline

"Reitanos" wrote in message
It sounds like you're talking about a footnote: Insert/Reference/
Footnote

And that depends on the version of Word, which the OP singularly failed to
tell us.....(it's NOT the same in 2007...)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
annagram annagram is offline

Thanks Gordon, yes it is Word 2007... it looks obvious now you've pointed it
out but I couldn't spot the 'footnote' button before.

"Gordon" wrote:

"annagram" wrote in message
Maybe it's an English thing, but none of the citation/reference options
are
the one I need. I'd like a small number to pop up with the corresponding
reference at the bottom of the page. Any ideas?

If you are using Word 2007 (and you omitted this fairly vital piece of
information) put your cursor in the text where you want the reference and
click on the References tab and in the Footnote panel click on "Insert
Footnote". that should do what you want...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_2_] Gordon[_2_] is offline

"annagram" wrote in message
Thanks Gordon, yes it is Word 2007... it looks obvious now you've pointed
it
out but I couldn't spot the 'footnote' button before.

we are all on a learning curve with this one!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles W Davis Charles W Davis is offline

"annagram" wrote in message
Maybe it's an English thing, but none of the citation/reference options
are
the one I need. I'd like a small number to pop up with the corresponding
reference at the bottom of the page. Any ideas?

Word 2007, click on the References tab at the top of the Ribbon. You will
see "Insert Footnote" "Next Footnote" and "Insert Endnote"

To select the style, click on the little arrow at the lower right, and make
your choices.