smurphy

Default TOC not lining up

Wondered if anyone could help. I have created a word document and have TOC1
set as Heading 1 which is Arial, font 11, not bold.

In the TOC, even thought the Heading 1 is set, the tab indent is different.
In this TOC, I am using I,II,II numbering as well that comes from the actual
document - not sure if that would have made the differce.

Anyway below I have put together an example of what I am seeing. They are
set for the same level.
I. Changing Your Password
II. Use and Setup Instructions
III. Sort a Field
IV. Change the Display

Any thoughts?

Margaret Aldis

I'm not sure what you mean by 'TOC1 set as Heading 1', but it looks like you
have not set the tab position in the TOC1 style to allow enough room for the
longest numbers.

I'm assuming here that the I, II etc. do have a tab character after them in
the document itself. If they don't then of course no tab character will
actually be there in the TOC entries, making line-up difficult. In that case
I think you would need to set up the document headings so that the heading
text and the number come from different styles, pick up only the text for
the TOC, and then add a numbering format (with the tab) to the TOC1 style.
(See http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/RunInSidehead.htm.)

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP