Geoff C

Default Styles appearing randomly in tables

Have a problem with styles in tables. When I update my TOC, some cells in the
various tables in the document seem to have acquired a style that appears in
the TOC. This seems to occur almost randomly - sometimes it will be a group
of 3 or four cells together, sometimes a single cell, sometimes even a single
word within a cell. I can correct them all, save and exit the document, go
back in and make a single change somewhere unconnected, and then when I
update the TOC, new and different random cells will appear there.

I assume that somehow Word is applying that style automatically because it
thinks it appropriate. Is there a way to suppress this behaviour? Or is there
another explanation? It drives me to distraction.

Many thanks,
Geoff.

This is most likely a result of "Define styles based on your formatting" or
"Automatic headings," both on the AutoFormat As You Type tab of Tools |
AutoCorrect Options. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm