Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl Island Girl is offline

Default Too many versions and styles

A 121-page document came across my desk today having 48 versions and a list
of styles almost as long as my forearm from having gone back and forth from
office to office.

The document had numbered headings, but in this version they had just "up
and disappeared." My job was to make them reappear.

I think the only solution to making the document stable is to paste special
it as unformatted text, renumber, and reformat into a new document, but I
haven't been with the company long enough to convince the boss of this. Or,
am I wrong; is there a more ASAP way of doing it and still keep the document
from falling apart now or later?

Instead of "Heading 1, Heading 2," etc., there are heading styles that end
"L-2" which make me think they might have been placed there by an add-in
program from the office that forwarded it.

This is not the first time it's happened and I know it won't be the last.
What advice can you give me? And thanks for the seemingly hundreds of other
times you've been so helpful to me!

From what I've learned from you wonderful people so far, I firmly believe
the document's integrity is in danger.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'd say that starting fresh is a good idea in this case. For reference, you
may want to print the original document first.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Island Girl" wrote in message
[...]

From what I've learned from you wonderful people so far, I firmly believe
the document's integrity is in danger.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
maryliz maryliz is offline

Thanks so much, Stefan! I feel a lot better knowing that my thoughts about
the document weren't very far off base.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

From what I've learned from you wonderful people so far, I firmly believe
the document's integrity is in danger.

[...]

[...]