Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Liontamer Liontamer is offline

Default Follow up question about application of original question.

Okay, I know I'm jumping ahead in my learning process. Actually I'm just
about finished with chapter 3 of SBS. But I've got a document that I'm
working on now, and I want to learn more about using cross references. Now,
even though the exercise previously discribed (see original question) doesn't
work, I figured I'd try to use a document I'm working on to follow the
directions in SBS. Well, I have got some idea of how this works. But I've
still have some issues:

1) What is the difference between a Bookmark and a Cross Reference?
So far: I can see that a book mark just allows you to access a special
location in a document. And once it's set; you can just jump there again
using the Bookmark tab. But a Cross Reference seems to do just about the
same thing. With the only difference between the two links is that one (the
bookmark) is invisible in the document print and the other (the cross
reference) is visible in document print. Now, I'm pretty sure I've got that
right. But I wonder if there is any other real difference between these two
options?

2) When I experiment with the Cross Reference option, following the
directions in SBS (pp 241-242), best I can using my own document, I notice
that when I choose Heading for the [ Reference type ] and Heading Number for
the [ Insert Reference to ] and select [ a specific heading number in my
document ] boxes, then I insert an close the cross reference dialog box--well
this raises several issues:

2a) First of all, Word 07 enters the Heading Number into my document text.
Not so bad, but....I all ready did that before I created the cross reference.
So, now I've got two printings of the Heading Number. (The Lion Tammer --
that's me -- get's confused.) Which number does what? So, I experiment. I
crack my whip! And I figure out which one was inserted. Great. I erase the
original heading number before I set up a cross reference, and I leave the
other one inserted by the cross reference process. 2b) Now I wonder if the
inserted heading number, which was inserted by the cross reference process,
will print as part of my document when I print it? Ah ha, it prints! 2c)
Okay, so let's say I'm going through my document. I get to the cross
reference point. I use Control + Click to access the cross reference. But I
wanna go back to where I just came from in my document. If I undo then I
lose the cross reference. O No! Then I've got to set it up all over again.

That's not all: 3) What happens if I alter the outline of my document? And
the cross reference heading changes? Will my cross reference also change in
my document? And, if I print my document with the upgraded changes then will
it print as such?

Also: 4) When I chose Heading for [ Reference Type ], looking at only three
of the choices (amoung the others) in the [ Insert Reference To ] box, I get
slightly confused. What is the difference between: Heading Number, Heading
Number (No Context), Heading Number (Full Context)? Then, there's an option
for Heading Text. So, you kind of wonder: Which option is best for me?

Ultimately here's what I want to be able to do:
1) Write a long document using various headings and sub headings.
2) If a later part of my document needs to cross reference a former part of
my document then I want to be able to set up those cross references. I want
to be able to do the same if a former part of my document needs to reference
a later part of the same document.
3) I want to know that if I change the outline of my document that the cross
references I've set up will also be updated accordingly.
4) I want to know that when I print my document that my cross reference are
all correct (updates included) when I print.
5) I want to be able to go to a cross reference from any point in my
document and return to the point that I cross referenced from just as quickly
as I cross referenced to the point without deleting the cross reference mark
in my document.

Thanks for reviewing this query. I look forward to some exact
clarification. Good day to all.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A bookmark is the "other end" of a cross-reference. Some items in Word
(headings, numbered items, footnotes, endnotes) are bookmarked automatically
by Word so that you can insert cross-references to them without explicitly
marking them. If you want to insert a cross-reference (or a hyperlink) to a
location that Word doesn't automatically bookmark, you have to insert the
bookmark yourself.

When you insert a cross-reference, you are inserting a REF field. If you are
in doubt as to which is your cross-reference, press Alt+F9 to display field
codes (or you can set field shading to "When selected," and the REF field
will then be shaded when you click in it).

The whole point of REF fields is to update if you change the bookmarked text
or the order of numbered items. But they don't update automatically. They'll
update when you print or Print Preview (assuming you have "Update fields"
checked on the Print tab of Tools | Options), or you can update them
manually with Ctrl+A, F9.

The "context" settings for heading numbering confuse me, too. I suspect
they're relevant only if you are using outline numbering (so that you have
paragraph numbers such as 2.2.1).

You can't jump from a cross-reference to the bookmark unless you have
inserted the Xref as a hyperlink. To return to the previous point after
clicking on any hyperlink, you can press Alt+Left Arrow, which is the
keyboard shortcut for the Back button on the Web toolbar.

"Liontamer" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think Liontamer is overthinking this a bit ... Cross References
simply let you "refer" to anything that has a number assigned to it by
something-or-other automatic in Word, such as numbered headings and
footnotes and tables. (If you want to "refer" to something that isn't
automatically numbered, then you give it a Bookmark and the bookmarks
all appear in your Cross Reference box, too.)

About Full Context/No Context: Long-time readers will recall that I
edited linguistics articles where the examples are numbered and the
sub-examples are lettered. If I need a reference to examples 303a-c,
then my cross reference to 303a has "full context" and my cross
reference to 303c has "no context." (I have to type the dash between
them manually.)

It gets a little more complicated when you have an outline and you
refer from one subsection of an outline to an entirely different
section, or to a subsubsection within the same subsection, or the
other possibilities, but that's what No Context and Full Context are
for.

On Sep 18, 12:32*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
[...]

"Liontamer" wrote in message

news

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Liontamer Liontamer is offline

Addressing both: Suzanne S. Barnhill and grammatim:
Thank you both for taking the time to respond. I have just read through
both your responses. However, after reading your responses, I did gain a bit
of a better understanding, but I still have questions. I need to take some
time now to try experimenting with your advices, and I need to raise my
understanding to your advanced knowledge of this wonderful program. I'm
still learning about Word '07, and I have much more to learn. Your patience
with me is appreciated. It's obvious from your answers that you both have
better experience. I will get back to you with what I hope helps you
understand how I'm seeing things. My original question seems to have, in
some ways, touched upon a complicated subject.

"grammatim" wrote:

[...]

"Liontamer" wrote in message

news

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It isn't really rocket science. Think of inserting or applying a bookmark as
being like assigning someone a phone number. The cross-reference is like
dialing that phone number.

"grammatim" wrote:

[...]

"Liontamer" wrote in message

news

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Liontamer Liontamer is offline

In closing on this query: Your efforts to clarify my understanding of
Bookmarks and Cross References was helpful. Thank you both for your input.
However, I am still a bit unclear regarding "Full Context" and "No Context",
but I kindof got some idea what's going on with those terms. There's no need
for you to comment further on this subject at this time. Since I have no
real need to use those terms now. You folks are great for helping us. Now
go make yourself some hot chocolate! You deserve it.

"grammatim" wrote:

[...]

"Liontamer" wrote in message

news

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

They both refer to outline-numbered paragraphs. Since I never use outline
numbering, I've never bothered to figure out the difference. If you do, it
would be helpful for you to let us know! (I suspect that "No context" means
just the last number in the series, while "Full context" includes the levels
above as well.)

"grammatim" wrote:

[...]

"Liontamer" wrote in message

news

[...]

Stefan Blom: another question from original question string 7/19/0 Liontamer Microsoft Word Help 3 July 29th 08 01:36 PM
2007 Outline #s don't follow when 2nd level doesn't follow § chang bretsharon New Users 5 April 29th 07 07:13 PM
where is my last question IngleseLite New Users 2 November 23rd 05 08:54 AM
question Luca New Users 2 June 8th 05 03:14 AM
XML question FCS Page Layout 1 March 24th 05 05:03 PM