Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
richard richard is offline

Default end note question

I placed two end notes into a document. They appear under the "numbers"
"i" and "ii." How can I get them to appear as regular numbers: "1" and
"2."? And why in the world would the default be with those other characters?
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Assuming that you're using Word 2007 or 2010, in the References ribbon,
click the icon at the lower right corner of the Footnotes section. Choose
Endnotes, then drop down the Number format: options and choose 1, 2, 3...

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word Bible

"richard" wrote in message
I placed two end notes into a document. They appear under the "numbers"
"i" and "ii." How can I get them to appear as regular numbers: "1" and
"2."? And why in the world would the default be with those other
characters?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
richard richard is offline

On 5/1/2010 4:52 PM, Herb Tyson [MVP] wrote:
Assuming that you're using Word 2007 or 2010, in the References ribbon,
click the icon at the lower right corner of the Footnotes section.
Choose Endnotes, then drop down the Number format: options and choose 1,
2, 3...

Thanks, Herb. Another question. I changed the end notes to footnotes,
but one footnote (only two lines of text) spills onto the next page. How
can I get that note all on one page?
Thank you/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

See the article "Why do my footnotes sometimes end up on a different page
from their references in the text?" at:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...ootnoteFAQ.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"richard" wrote in message
On 5/1/2010 4:52 PM, Herb Tyson [MVP] wrote:
Assuming that you're using Word 2007 or 2010, in the References ribbon,
click the icon at the lower right corner of the Footnotes section.
Choose Endnotes, then drop down the Number format: options and choose 1,
2, 3...

Thanks, Herb. Another question. I changed the end notes to footnotes, but
one footnote (only two lines of text) spills onto the next page. How can I
get that note all on one page?
Thank you/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Footnotes will respond to a number of different nudging techniques, such as
monkeying with margin and edge settings. The technique usually with the
fewest repercussions (in my experience) is to enable the "Keep lines
together" paragraph formatting attribute. Assuming the footnote is a single
paragraph, click in it. In the Home tab, click the Paragraph launcher (lower
right corner of the Paragraph section), and in the Line and Page Breaks tab,
enable Keep lines together.

If you NEVER want a footnote to spill over, you can modify the Footnote Text
style to include the Keep lines together attribute. Click in the Footnote,
and press Ctrl+Shift+S. Click Modify. In the dialog box, choose Format -
Paragraph - Line and Page Breaks tab, and tick the setting there. Then OK
your way out.

--

"richard" wrote in message
On 5/1/2010 4:52 PM, Herb Tyson [MVP] wrote:
Assuming that you're using Word 2007 or 2010, in the References ribbon,
click the icon at the lower right corner of the Footnotes section.
Choose Endnotes, then drop down the Number format: options and choose 1,
2, 3...

Thanks, Herb. Another question. I changed the end notes to footnotes, but
one footnote (only two lines of text) spills onto the next page. How can I
get that note all on one page?
Thank you/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

No one knows (or at least no one has ever told us) why endnotes are, by
default, numbered with lowercase roman numerals. As has been pointed out,
you can change the number style for a given document, but this is one
instance when modifying the Normal template makes sense. Assuming you will
*never* want endnotes numbered with roman numerals, open Normal.dot or
Normal.dotm (following the instructions for finding it at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm) and make the
change there; this will affect new documents based on Normal (but not
documents based on any other template).

http://word.mvps.org

"richard" wrote in message
I placed two end notes into a document. They appear under the "numbers" "i"
and "ii." How can I get them to appear as regular numbers: "1" and "2."?
And why in the world would the default be with those other characters?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
richard richard is offline

On 5/1/2010 5:08 PM, richard wrote:
On 5/1/2010 4:52 PM, Herb Tyson [MVP] wrote:
Assuming that you're using Word 2007 or 2010, in the References ribbon,
click the icon at the lower right corner of the Footnotes section.
Choose Endnotes, then drop down the Number format: options and choose 1,
2, 3...

Thanks, Herb. Another question. I changed the end notes to footnotes,
but one footnote (only two lines of text) spills onto the next page. How
can I get that note all on one page?
Thank you/

Thanks to all who replied. I changed Save to docx, which got the notes
to be where they belong. I am afraid that I do not find Word 2007 very
intuitive. I would never have solved the problem without your help.

note cards kscott Microsoft Word Help 1 May 13th 06 06:20 PM
End Note Al Mailmerge 1 April 12th 06 08:08 PM
Pop-Up Note hnyb1 Microsoft Word Help 6 December 1st 05 05:45 AM
End note questions Subin Microsoft Word Help 0 November 23rd 05 08:09 PM
How do you create a margin note in Word? A margin note is like a. ctjohnson Microsoft Word Help 2 April 13th 05 10:21 PM