LisaH

Default Page nos. for TOC level-1 headings won't align right as requested

I click Insert-Reference-Index and Tables, click Show Page Numbers and
Right align page numbers, and click Tab Leader .... My format is "From
Template". Then I click OK. My Heading 2s and Heading 3s format correctly in
the TOC--there are dots leading to the page number at the right-hand margin.
For Heading 1, though, there is only a tab and then the page number
IMMEDIATELY to the right of the heading name--no dots. What is controlling
this?

Thanks!

The TOC 1 style may then have lost its right-margin tab, and you'll need to
restore it.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Try selecting a TOC 1 entry and pressing Ctrl+Q.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"LisaH" wrote in message
I click Insert-Reference-Index and Tables, click Show Page Numbers

and
Right align page numbers, and click Tab Leader .... My format is "From
Template". Then I click OK. My Heading 2s and Heading 3s format

correctly
in
the TOC--there are dots leading to the page number at the right-hand

margin.
For Heading 1, though, there is only a tab and then the page number
IMMEDIATELY to the right of the heading name--no dots. What is

controlling
this?

Thanks!

LisaH

Nothing seems to work. One clue is that in the Index and Tables dialog, under
Print Preview, Heading 1 appears as "Heading 1 1". Heading 2 appears as
"Heading 2 3". Heading 3 appears as it should, as "Heading 3". The problem is
probably related to the fact that I'm using outline numbering for the
headings.

"LisaH" wrote in message
I click Insert-Reference-Index and Tables, click Show Page Numbers

and
Right align page numbers, and click Tab Leader .... My format is "From
Template". Then I click OK. My Heading 2s and Heading 3s format

correctly
in
the TOC--there are dots leading to the page number at the right-hand
margin.
For Heading 1, though, there is only a tab and then the page number
IMMEDIATELY to the right of the heading name--no dots. What is

controlling
this?

Thanks!

Did you follow this procedure?

1. Go to Format | Style (or, in Word 2002/2003, click on Styles... in the
Format Settings dialog you get if you select Custom at the bottom of the
Styles and Formatting task pane).

2. In the All Styles list, select TOC 1.

3. Click Modify...

4. In the Modify Style dialog, click Format.

5. On the Format menu, select Tabs.

6. Set a right-aligned tab with period leader at 6" or 6.5" or whatever
measurement represents your right margin.

7. OK out.

"LisaH" wrote in message
I click Insert-Reference-Index and Tables, click Show Page

Numbers
and
Right align page numbers, and click Tab Leader .... My format is

"From
Template". Then I click OK. My Heading 2s and Heading 3s format

correctly
in
the TOC--there are dots leading to the page number at the

right-hand
margin.
For Heading 1, though, there is only a tab and then the page

number
IMMEDIATELY to the right of the heading name--no dots. What is

controlling
this?

Thanks!

FWIW, you *should* be able to accomplish exactly the same thing by setting a
right tab in a TOC 1 entry using the ruler. TOC styles are by default set to
update automatically (though I find this works better for paragraph than
font formatting), so setting a tab in one TOC 1 entry should set it for all
(and modify the style).