Sam Lewis

Default need help with headers and footers

Hi to all,

I want to place my name and qualifications at the top of the first page of
my letters and on subsequent pages only to have a reference number and page
number displayed at the top. Across the bottom of first and subsequent
pages I want to display contact details. If I write a brief one-page letter
then I only want the first page to print without the subsequent pages to
print with redundant header and footer Information. Can this be done? Can
you have totally separate and independent headers and footers for first and
subsequent pages?

One of the problems I have experienced is when I "insert Page number" and
check not to display on page 1, the footer information disappears from view.
This is irrespective of whether the page number has been placed in the
header.

Many thanks for your help!

Sam

Charles Kenyon

First, don't use "Insert Page Number," ever.

Everything you want to do can be done, fairly easily. Take a look at: How to
set up letterhead or some other document where you want one header on the
first page and a different header on other pages.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This gives step-by-step
instructions. (It also has the following links)

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Tips and Instructions
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial

Template Basics
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

How to Create a Template - Part 2 - essential reading
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Word "Forms"
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordw...rces.htm#Forms and

Word for Word Perfect Users
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm if you are coming from a WP
environment (or even if you are not).

Finally, take a look at the letter templates that come with Word. While they
are no great shakes as letterhead, they do use styles and AutoText lists
very well. If you use the same style names that are used in those templates
in your own letterhead for the same parts of the document, you will have
better luck with using the built-in AutoText entries in Word.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Sam Lewis" wrote in message
[...]

Sam Lewis

Thanks Charles
Quite a bit of reading to plod through but will give it a go.

I suspect if you add a separate second page header with or without page
number then everytime you use that template it will print a second page,
even if you've typed only a few words on the first page.The only way around
this is to go into print setup each time and choose print first page only
from the print range.Do you know if there is another way that automatically
ignores a second page if unused apart from header info?

Thanks again
Sam

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

"Sam Lewis" wrote in message
[...]

Margaret Aldis

Hi Sam

You suspect wrong g.

All you have to do to get different headers and footers on first and
subsequent pages is use File Page Setup Layout and check "different
first page". Add a page break so that you have two pages to work on while
setting up the headers and footers, and work in Header and Footer view to
add the items you want on the two different headers and footers. Then delete
the second page and save the template. When you create a new document from
the template it will just have the first page header and footer, but if and
when it runs onto the second page, the second page header and footer will
spring back into life.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Sam Lewis" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

You don't need to permanently (or ever) have a second page in your template
to have two different headers. Margaret gives the most straight-forward way
to create them. The way I use these days is to first set the document to
_not_ have a different first page, then create the continuation header as
the header. I then, while in header/footer view, use the page setup button
on the toolbar to change to have a different first page header. When I close
that dialog and return to header/footer view, I can create the first page
header. The continuation header will pop up if the document actually has a
second page and otherwise will remain invisible.
--

"Sam Lewis" wrote in message
[...]

Sam Lewis

Thank You Margaret,

That is awesome. I had to look up how to delete a page in Word (Normal
viewshow page breaksdelete) but now works like magic.

Sam

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...

"Sam Lewis" wrote in message
[...]

Sam Lewis

Yes very clever Charles and thank you. I believe this is probably a more
streamlined way of achieving the desired result when starting a document
from scratch.

I now have two ways of solving a problem I thought was "just one of those
things you have to put up with".:-)

Cheers

Sam

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in