Joe Lewis

Default footnote number restart

I can't restart footnote numbering on each page, but I can restart for each
section (using insert--cross-reference--footnote).

In my document, footnotes on pages 1 to 156 are numbered consecutively, 157
to 217 restart on each page. I would like all footnote numbers to restart on
each page. In print preview, they seem to do so. However, when I print the
document (using Acrobat Distiller v. 5 or FinePrint), they are numbered
consecutively.

When I use Ins-Xref-footnote to Apply "restart each section" to the whole
document the printed document in Acrobat and FinePrint does indeed restart
footnote numbers for each section.

However, I still can't restart the numbers on each page.

All my footnotes are in tables, in case that makes a difference.

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Joe Lewis
Daiya Mitchell

What if you print a few pages of the document just using Word straight, no
Acrobat Distiller or FinePrint involved? Try to narrow down the source of
the problem.

Um, the menu command is really Insert | Reference, Footnote, not Insert |
Cross-Reference, right?

And you used Insert | Reference, Footnote to Apply "restart each page" to
the whole document, but it doesn't take? It takes effect on part of the
document, but not all? Or the command is grayed out? (sometimes it's tricky
to figure out what "can't" means on email)

What kind of format are you using FinePrint to get?

Look at your doc in Normal View--is it possible that pages 157 to 217 are
actually divided by Next Page Section Breaks? What sort of section breaks
and manual page breaks do you have in the document?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Joe Lewis

Thanks for your response, Daiya. Is there some way to display and control the
formatting information Word is using for the footnote numbers? I read on the
MVP site that the numbers in the footnotes are list numbers, and the numbers
in the text are references to those numbers. I tried to select the footnote
numbers somehow and tell them to restart numbering, but their paragraphs
already seem to have "restart numbering" checked (and grayed out)?

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

What if you print a few pages of the document just using Word straight, no
Acrobat Distiller or FinePrint involved? Try to narrow down the source of
the problem.

I tried the first 43 pages, and I can't fix the problem in those pages. I
can restart footnote numbers for each section, but not for each page.
Um, the menu command is really Insert | Reference, Footnote, not Insert |
Cross-Reference, right?

Yes, thanks for correcting me.
And you used Insert | Reference, Footnote to Apply "restart each page" to
the whole document, but it doesn't take? It takes effect on part of the
document, but not all? Or the command is grayed out? (sometimes it's tricky
to figure out what "can't" means on email)

The command is not grayed out. "Restart each page" doesn't take effect,
whereas "restart each section" does take effect.
What kind of format are you using FinePrint to get?

FinePrint is set to use my default printer, Samsung CLP-550. Since FinePrint
and Acrobat Distiller seem to give the same result, I presume that the
problem is not with the print driver. Still, I'm surprised that Print Preview
displays the footnote numbers I prefer, but when Word "prints" the file, it
renumbers the footnotes.
Look at your doc in Normal View--is it possible that pages 157 to 217 are
actually divided by Next Page Section Breaks? What sort of section breaks
and manual page breaks do you have in the document?

The document has 127 sections. I use many new page section breaks to force a
table to break onto a new page without inserting an extra paragraph mark. I
find that using Ctrl-Enter inside a table inserts an extra paragraph.
[...]

Daiya Mitchell

I think footnotes are a special kind of numbering that you can't control
other than through the dialog. It's barely conceivable that setting it with
VBA (a macro) might produce different results, but I wouldn't be sure of the
VBA and it should be equivalent to using the dialog.

Since FinePrint
and Acrobat Distiller seem to give the same result, I presume that the
problem is not with the print driver. Still, I'm surprised that Print Preview
displays the footnote numbers I prefer, but when Word "prints" the file, it
renumbers the footnotes.

Well, Word also uses the printer driver to prepare Print Preview, so that
seems illogical...which is why my first guess was that Acrobat and FinePrint
just had problems with it.

The document has 127 sections. I use many new page section breaks to force a
table to break onto a new page without inserting an extra paragraph mark. I
find that using Ctrl-Enter inside a table inserts an extra paragraph.

Incidentally, that sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen. Any one of
those sections could have a corrupted last paragraph mark. If the extra
paragraph mark is a cosmetic problem, rather than a structural one, the
usual workaround is to format it as 1pt.

But I'm sorry, I really haven't a clue here (and I read the other post you
made in a different group too). I think you may have to go to the brute
force methods.

Maybe the document is corrupt? See here for suggested fixes:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm
Tables can corrupt individually too, as well as any of those sections.

Daiya