Chris

Default Table Dilemma, Help!

I have an MS Word doc that I use for ordering network equipment. When
opening the doc on my PC it opens in the desired layout. When trying other
PC's my success varies, with some opening correctly and others distoring the
tables within the document. Each PC has identical resolution, font size, and
MS Word version (MS Word 2002 - 10.2627.2625). I've checked pretty much
every setting in Word I can think of.

Desired Layout:
http://www.hordeofone.com/misc/frame_1.JPG

Distorted Layout:
http://www.hordeofone.com/misc/frame_2.JPG

TIA
Jay Freedman

Chris wrote:
I have an MS Word doc that I use for ordering network equipment. When
opening the doc on my PC it opens in the desired layout. When trying
other PC's my success varies, with some opening correctly and others
distoring the tables within the document. Each PC has identical
resolution, font size, and MS Word version (MS Word 2002 -
10.2627.2625). I've checked pretty much every setting in Word I can
think of.

Desired Layout:
http://www.hordeofone.com/misc/frame_1.JPG

Distorted Layout:
http://www.hordeofone.com/misc/frame_2.JPG

TIA

Hi Chris,

Do some of the PCs use different models of printer, or even different
versions of the printer drivers? That can cause changes in the letter
spacing (http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm), and in a
tightly filled table cell like the ones you have, the result will be
unwanted line breaks.

If possible, get the same version of the same printer driver installed on
all the PCs. If you can't do that, reduce the point size of the text in the
table -- or, possibly better, go to Format Font Character Spacing and
set the spacing to Condensed by .5 pt or so, which squeezes the letters
together without reducing their size. That should give you enough expansion
room in the cells to prevent the line breaks.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Chris

While those were very valid suggestions, my problem turned out to be font
related oddly enough. Even though the varying PC's were running the same
version of MS Word, the font on the "good" machines was actually displaying 1
point smaller than on the "bad" machines. I.e. font 12 on one machine was 1
point smaller than font 12 on another. Thus maybe some hidden update or
patch that doesn't change the version #? Not sure, but glad I figured it out
at any rate.

Thanks for your help =)