Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Telegraphy

Default Footnote Number Fonts

An earlier discussion of changing at once the font and size of 1500+ footnote
numbers without changing the footnote text following each footnote number in
a single Word 2003 document yielded two suggestions related to
"Format"/"Styles and Formatting"/"Footnote Reference" settings.

The advice was based on:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...895621033.aspx .

This procedure does not seem to work, hopefully because I have not
implemented the steps correctly. Can anyone give step by step instructions
on how to do this? Can all 1500+ footnote numbers alone--separate from the
footnote text--be selected at once (highlighted), then changed in "Styles and
Formatting"? Can anyone explain why "Numbering" is not activated in "New
Styles" when "Characters" is selected to implement "Footnote Reference,"
which supposedly is the command to change the font and size of footnote
numbers alone?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Telegraphy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Herb Tyson [MVP]

I don't see what the problem is. If I redefine the font size assigned to the
Footnote Reference style, all footnote numbers in my document
*simultaneously* change to the new size.

1. Select a footnote reference mark.

2. Choose Format - Styles and Formatting.

3. In the Styles and Formatting task pane, near the top under Formatting of
Selected Text, Footnote Reference should appear. Right click Footnote
Reference and choose Modify.

4. In the Modify Style dialog box, near the bottom left, choose Format -
Font.

5. Set the Size to whatever size you want.

6. Choose OK, and then OK again.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Telegraphy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The fallacy here is in:

3. In the Styles and Formatting task pane, near the top under Formatting

of
Selected Text, Footnote Reference should appear. Right click Footnote
Reference and choose Modify.

In fact, neither Footnote Text nor Footnote Reference will appear, even if
you select "All styles." But if you select "Custom," which opens the Format
Settings dialog, you can click on the Styles... button, which opens the
Style dialog. Select the Footnote Reference style, click Modify..., and
change the font or font size as desired. Font and font size are the only
things that can be modified because Footnote Reference is a character style.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Herb Tyson [MVP]

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Um.... when I perform the steps
I indicated (which require selecting a reference mark), the Footnote
Reference style does indeed appear in the "Formatting of Selected Text" box.
You don't need to use the Show: list at all to make that style appear when
you select a reference mark. The applied style--whether character or
paragraph--shows up as the "Formatting of selected text" style. It doesn't
show in the Pick formatting list, but you don't need for it to to access the
Modify command.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The fallacy here is in:

3. In the Styles and Formatting task pane, near the top under Formatting

of
Selected Text, Footnote Reference should appear. Right click Footnote
Reference and choose Modify.

In fact, neither Footnote Text nor Footnote Reference will appear, even if
you select "All styles." But if you select "Custom," which opens the
Format
Settings dialog, you can click on the Styles... button, which opens the
Style dialog. Select the Footnote Reference style, click Modify..., and
change the font or font size as desired. Font and font size are the only
things that can be modified because Footnote Reference is a character
style.

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Indeed, I do see this if I select a footnote reference in the document, but
not if I select it in the footnote. sigh So tell me how you would modify
the Footnote Text style. Because it occurs (by default) only in footnotes.
When I select some Footnote Text in the footnote pane, the "Formatting of
selected text box" shows Normal or Body Text or whatever the style is at the
insertion point in the document body.

....Oh, wait, you have to be in Print Layout view (which I guess most of the
world already is, but I never am). Emily Litella Never mind /Emily
Litella

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Telegraphy

Ms. Barnhill and Mr. Tyson,

I wanted to thank you both. From my case study here you both helped me. I
have now achieved half of the task. I was able to change the size and font
of all the footnote numbers in the footnotes themselves, which obviously
appear at the bottom of the pages of this 300+ page document, but the
footnote numbers that appear above in the body throughout the document did
not change, and will not change following the same procedure. Is there a
separate command for changing footnote numbers that appear throughout the
document's body?

Again, thanks.

Telegraphy

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Herb Tyson [MVP]

Indeed... when I followed the instructions I provided, numbers in both
places changed. If you've already modified the Footnote Reference style by
some other means, however, it's possible that your earlier changes have
taken precedence. The solution would be to select all occurrences of the
modified styles and remove any variant (direct) formatting, then the
modified style would take effect.

--

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Telegraphy

Ms. Barnhill,

Yes, this should be the problem, but how can I confirm "Footnote Reference"
applies to both locations of footnote numbers--in the document's body and
with the footnotes? I cannot find a "default" setting for "Footnote
Reference" anywhere in "Format"/"Styles and Formatting" or "Tools"/Options."
Where can I reset this function to default? Thanks.

Telegraphy

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

By default, the Footnote Reference style is defined as Default Paragraph
Font + Superscript. The problem with trying to reset footnote references to
the default is that there is no shortcut in Word for this (Ctrl+Spacebar
removes character styles as well as direct font formatting). I believe that
finding the style and replacing it with itself may do the trick, though.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If the Footnote Reference style is applied to both (as it is by

default),
then modifying the style should change both.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Telegraphy

Hello Folks,

Well, I have sorted out a resolution to my font and size issue with footnote
numbers. To conclude my contribution to this thread, let me restate my
problem and two-step fix.

I wanted to change 1500+ footnote numbers at once in font and size. I was
kindly advised on how to do this in one stroke, so to speak, to footnote
numbers in the document and to the corresponding footnote numbers below in
the footers where they reside with their routine explanatory/citation text.

Step 1 (this may work completely for you)

See Herb Tyson's step by step guide in this thread, which is supposed to
change all footnotes everywhere at once. For me it only changed font and
size of footnote numbers in the footnotes, and would never work on the
footnote numbers in the document, which forced me to sort out Step 2.

Step 2

To change the font and size of footnotes in the document:

1. make sure that you have customized your toolbar to reflect the
appearance of the following command icons at the top of your Word screen:
bold, grow font, shrink font, and the three drop down menus--font, font size,
style. Alternatively, for the moment, activate the entire formatting
toolbar--click on View/Toolbars/Formatting. All of those command icons will
appear with other formatting command icons.

2. highlight a single footnote number in the document (not one in footers)

3. from Word's drop down menu select "Format"/"Styles and Formatting", then
select "Footnote Reference" from the long list below so that after selection
it appears at the top in the box just below "Formatting of Selected Text"

4. now click on "Select All" which is just below that box

5. once all of your footnote numbers in your document are highlighted, you
can change their size and font by clicking on the format command icons I
mentioned above now residing on your toolbar

Good luck! There is something to be said for the bygone days of telegraphs.

Telegraphy