bonnie

Default Table Autoformat --changing first column only?

I want to set up a Table Style in Autoformat with the first column having a
different paragraph format than the others (Ariel, bold, 11pt, right
aligned).

I do Autoformat Modify Apply formatting to: Left column. OK. Then I
checkmark Apply special formats to: First column. and click Apply. I get the
text bold and right-aligned, but the font type doesn't change. I don't get
what's going on.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Ym9ubmll?=,

Which version of Word?

If you choose a font other than Arial, does the change occur? Or a font size of,
say, 9?

I want to set up a Table Style in Autoformat with the first column having a
different paragraph format than the others (Ariel, bold, 11pt, right
aligned).

I do Autoformat Modify Apply formatting to: Left column. OK. Then I
checkmark Apply special formats to: First column. and click Apply. I get the
text bold and right-aligned, but the font type doesn't change. I don't get
what's going on.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

bonnie g

I am using Word 2002. After looking at your questions, I tested different
fonts and discovered that I cannot change the font style or size for any part
of the table from the Table Autoformat dialog box. No matter what I do, I
end up with whatever the Normal font style and size is. (I'm new to
Microsoft Word, and I'm having a difficult time figuring out the formatting
compared to what I'm used to in Framemaker.). I will appreciate any help you
can give me.

Bonnie

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Ym9ubmll?=,

Which version of Word?

If you choose a font other than Arial, does the change occur? Or a font size of,
say, 9?

I want to set up a Table Style in Autoformat with the first column having a
different paragraph format than the others (Ariel, bold, 11pt, right
aligned).

I do Autoformat Modify Apply formatting to: Left column. OK. Then I
checkmark Apply special formats to: First column. and click Apply. I get the
text bold and right-aligned, but the font type doesn't change. I don't get
what's going on.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Bonnie,

I am using Word 2002. After looking at your questions, I tested different
fonts and discovered that I cannot change the font style or size for any

part
of the table from the Table Autoformat dialog box. No matter what I do, I
end up with whatever the Normal font style and size is. (I'm new to
Microsoft Word, and I'm having a difficult time figuring out the formatting
compared to what I'm used to in Framemaker.). I will appreciate any help

you
can give me.

I suspect the best thing would be to create your own Table Style, based on the
AutoFormat you prefer.

Format/Styles and formatting to display the Styles and Formatting task pane.

Click the "New style" button, and type in a name for your style. Choose
"Table" as the style type, and select the AutoFormat you like best from the
"Based on" list.

In order to change any part of the style definition (last column, for
example), select that from the "Apply formatting to" list. Now specify the
formatting you want.

I want to set up a Table Style in Autoformat with the first column

having a
different paragraph format than the others (Ariel, bold, 11pt, right
aligned).

I do Autoformat Modify Apply formatting to: Left column. OK. Then I
checkmark Apply special formats to: First column. and click Apply. I

get the
text bold and right-aligned, but the font type doesn't change. I don't

get
what's going on.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

superblues

when i am typing in a table i change the font size and font to make the first
line of my table larger, i then change it back to the normal size font and
size, it types it in the first colum then reverts back to the larger size in
the next coloums, why does it do that and how can i stop it.

Charles Kenyon

Because formatting in tables for a new row follows the formatting of the
previous row, column by column. You need to change the font size in each
column/cell of your new row. You might want to explore creating and using
styles.
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/tables.htm
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm

--