Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
smartasien

Default Concerning Current Date Changes On Past Documents

I have these saved faxes that I need as evidence for a court case. The
current day's date changes the original date on these faxes. I looked up how
to change it to the original date. But my concern is if the "original date"
is the day the document was created or the date that I inputed last. What I
want is the date I typed in the last time I used the file. I'm concerned that
I will get the date the file was created because I sometimes don't use my
blank main template. I save all my faxes as separate files and I sometimes
use these separate files as the template instead of the blank main template
that I should use. Don't ask me why I don't use the main template. So to
summarize: what I'm afraid of is the date that shows up is the date of the
creation of the document instead of the date I typed in when I last used the
document. Which is it? I hope I am understandable. Any insight would be most
appreciated! Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

The dates available to you from Word are --

Date Created

Date last printed (if you were faxing directly from your computer, this
might be the date you printed it to the fax driver; but then again, you
might have printed it again since)

Date last saved

Explorer can also show you the date the file was first saved (ie created)
and last modified.

If the document date is critical to your court case, then none of these
dates will be conclusive either way. Only 'Date last saved' says anything
definitive about the document; but even then, there might have been a delay
between saving it and faxing it.

If you faxed from your computer, then your fax software will have a log that
should show document name and date transmitted. If you have permament
back-ups (such as CDs) they will show dates on which the document definitely
existed.

"smartasien" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The date that you created the specific fax (rather than the date of the
document you based it on) will be the CreateDate for that document. As
Jezebel points out, however, none of this can be expected to hold up in
court.