philip carr

Default word 2002 once a letter is merged i can not edit it unless i un m.

I often merge a number of letters at once and sometims need to edit just one
of the letters I used to be able to do this with word 2000 but in word 2002
the letter/s once merged seem to be locked
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

That should not be the case. Once a merge is executed to a new document,
that new document no longer has any connection with the merge process.

I am not sure what you mean by "unless i un m." in your subject line.

--
Please post any further questions or followup to the newsgroups for the
benefit of others who may be interested. Unsolicited questions forwarded

Hope this helps
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"philip carr" philip wrote in message
news
I often merge a number of letters at once and sometims need to edit just
one
of the letters I used to be able to do this with word 2000 but in word
2002
the letter/s once merged seem to be locked

philip carr

Once merge is complete I can not then edit the letter ie I can not place the
cursor in the text. I used to be able to make edits after merging with
previous word edition.

I often merge a letter to say 10 customers once merged I somtimes find the
text does not look correct because of the differing sizes of the merged
content and so before printing I would like to be able to insrt and elte
spaces to correct the layout.

As I say I used to be able to do this and I am not sure whats happened ,
maybe its just a setting preference that I do not Know about?

Regards

Philip Carr
"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

That should not be the case. Once a merge is executed to a new document,
that new document no longer has any connection with the merge process.

I am not sure what you mean by "unless i un m." in your subject line.

--
Please post any further questions or followup to the newsgroups for the
benefit of others who may be interested. Unsolicited questions forwarded
directly to me will only be answered on a paid consulting basis.

Hope this helps
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"philip carr" philip wrote in message
news
I often merge a number of letters at once and sometims need to edit just
one
of the letters I used to be able to do this with word 2000 but in word
2002
the letter/s once merged seem to be locked

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

There is no setting that I know of that would cause this. What happens if
you use Ctrl+A? Is all of the text in the document selected? If so, what
happens if you then press the left arrow key? is the cursor then located at
the beginning of the document? And can you then move it anywhere in the
document?

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

That should not be the case. Once a merge is executed to a new document,
that new document no longer has any connection with the merge process.

I am not sure what you mean by "unless i un m." in your subject line.

--
Please post any further questions or followup to the newsgroups for the
benefit of others who may be interested. Unsolicited questions forwarded
directly to me will only be answered on a paid consulting basis.

Hope this helps
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"philip carr" philip wrote in message
news
I often merge a number of letters at once and sometims need to edit just
one
of the letters I used to be able to do this with word 2000 but in word
2002
the letter/s once merged seem to be locked

philip carr

No matter where the cursor is before you merge once merged it appears at the
top of the , page lefthand side.I can not then select any text , move the
cursor , or type any text into the letter unless of course I un merge first.

Regards

Philip Carr

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

That should not be the case. Once a merge is executed to a new document,
that new document no longer has any connection with the merge process.

I am not sure what you mean by "unless i un m." in your subject line.

--
Please post any further questions or followup to the newsgroups for the
benefit of others who may be interested. Unsolicited questions forwarded
directly to me will only be answered on a paid consulting basis.

Hope this helps
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"philip carr" philip wrote in message
news I often merge a number of letters at once and sometims need to edit just
one
of the letters I used to be able to do this with word 2000 but in word
2002
the letter/s once merged seem to be locked

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

And just how to do you "un merge" a document created by executing a
mailmerge. AFAIK there is no way to do that.

Something here does not ring true of a mailmerge.

--

,

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

philip carr

I have a standard letter to which i merge data stored in an acces db.
once merged i can not edit the merged letter , i can not insert the cursor
so i can not do anything.
However i have now found i can select insert date ,if i do this and then
undo the date insert and i can then edit the letter as normal.placing the
cursor where i like.

What do think is going on?