Michael B.

Default Bulk convert graphics inside Word docs?

Is there a tool to bulk-convert graphics that are inside a
Word doc?

Our org has a number of 2+ Mb Word files that could be
shrunk considerably if the screenshot that were just
pasted into them could be compressed to 72 dpi .jpg images.

I've found a tool that can do that en mass, but only if
the graphics are first on the hard drive. To save me the
work of manually extracting the graphics individually to
the hard drive, running the converter, and then manually
inserting them back into the Word doc, I'm hoping to find
a utility that will do that while the graphics are still
within the Word file.

Does anyone know of anything that will do this?

Thanks,

Michael
Pop

Well, to mass export them, just save the doc as a Web Page. All
the graphics will be converted to separate files you can mass
edit. If they're bitmaps it might be a problem, but if they're
JPEGs or PNG, you have a chance.
It might screw up footnotes though if you use that method, so
test first on a reasonably sized file representation to save
time. See if the results are acceptable when you resave it back
to a doc file.

In the future, try to have the pics linked instead of embedded;
then you could just edit or replace the old files with the new
and it'd be done. There would be no pics in the doc, and the
disc space used would still go down a lot.

I don't k now of anything that works inside the Word doc though
that doesn't mean there isn't such an animal available.

As a web file, you -could- us Word's File View HTML Source to
mass Replace the file extensions. eg replace bmp with jpg.
You need to hav e the Web ability installed - I don't think it's
default, don't remember for sure.

Dunno if that helps any, but ... them's my thoughts.

Pop

Michael B. wrote:
Is there a tool to bulk-convert graphics that are inside a
Word doc?

Our org has a number of 2+ Mb Word files that could be
shrunk considerably if the screenshot that were just
pasted into them could be compressed to 72 dpi .jpg images.

I've found a tool that can do that en mass, but only if
the graphics are first on the hard drive. To save me the
work of manually extracting the graphics individually to
the hard drive, running the converter, and then manually
inserting them back into the Word doc, I'm hoping to find
a utility that will do that while the graphics are still
within the Word file.

Does anyone know of anything that will do this?

Thanks,

Michael

TF

If you are using Word XP or 2003, just double-click the first graphic in the
document which should open the Format Picture Dialog. Select the Picture tab
and then click on the Compress button: a dialog should pop up and ask you
several very pertinent questions including if you want to compress all
pictures in the document, the document compression and if you want to remove
cropped areas (Word only hides cropped areas by default).

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: Our org has a number of 2+ Mb Word files that could be
: shrunk considerably if the screenshot that were just
: pasted into them could be compressed to 72 dpi .jpg images.
:
: I've found a tool that can do that en mass, but only if
: the graphics are first on the hard drive. To save me the
: work of manually extracting the graphics individually to
: the hard drive, running the converter, and then manually
: inserting them back into the Word doc, I'm hoping to find
: a utility that will do that while the graphics are still
: within the Word file.
:
: Does anyone know of anything that will do this?
:
: Thanks,
:
: Michael

Pop

Well, I'll be ding-dong-gonged! I can't believe I never noticed
the Compress button!
Thanks Terry, though I'm not the OP!

Do you know off the top of your head if that works for other then
gif/jpg/png files?
If not, don't worry about it; I can do the test myself when I get
time. Just thought i'd take advantage of an opportunity.

Pop

TF wrote:
If you are using Word XP or 2003, just double-click the first
graphic
in the document which should open the Format Picture Dialog.
Select
the Picture tab and then click on the Compress button: a dialog
should pop up and ask you several very pertinent questions
including
if you want to compress all pictures in the document, the
document
compression and if you want to remove cropped areas (Word only
hides
cropped areas by default).

"Michael B." wrote in
message