Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sharon Sharon is offline

Default Merge going to Outlook Express Outbox instead of MS Outlook 2003

I am trying a mail merge from MS Word 2003. I am importing a list of
addresses from an excel spreadsheet. However when I am trying to send the
message it tries to send via my Outlook Express(though my default mail client
is MS Outlook) and comes up with the following error :

"The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the
server name correctly. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol: SMTP, Port:
25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D"

I then tried to mail merge through my MS Outlook 2003 and its doing the same
thing. All these messages are sitting in my Outlook Express outbox.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sharon Sharon is offline

Default Merge going to Outlook Express Outbox instead of MS Outlook 20

Hi Peter,

I havent done or changed any settings to try and send it via Outlook
Express. This is the first time I'm trying email merge. Never done it before.
The email address are just normal like etc...just a list of all
the clients interested in a particular program and I am wanting to send them
the email. I have checked in internet options and MS Outlook 2003 is my
default email client. This morning I changed it in MS Outlook 2003 under
tools--options--other and now it has even stopped going to my Express outbox.
It just doesnt work...If I try to attempt send/receive now from MS Outlook
2003 I am getting the following error:

"Task 'POP3 - Receiving' reported error (0x80040900) : 'The server name you
entered can not be found on the network (it might be down temporarily).
Please verify that you are online and that the server name is correct.'

Please Help !!!

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

What did you do to try to send via Outlook 2003 rather than Outlook Express?

What do the e-mail addresses in the Excel column you specified in the merge
look like? Do they look like normal e-mail addresses, e.g.

and so on? Can you give an example (anonymised if necessary)?

Peter Jamieson
"Sharon" wrote in message
I am trying a mail merge from MS Word 2003. I am importing a list of
addresses from an excel spreadsheet. However when I am trying to send the
message it tries to send via my Outlook Express(though my default mail
client
is MS Outlook) and comes up with the following error :

"The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered
the
server name correctly. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol: SMTP,
Port:
25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D"

I then tried to mail merge through my MS Outlook 2003 and its doing the
same
thing. All these messages are sitting in my Outlook Express outbox.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sharon Sharon is offline

Hi Peter,

Just an update on the issue below, I have just realised its not sending only
if i select the option HTML in the Electronic mail, its working fine for
attachment and plain text. However I need to send the message as HTML.
Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks,
Sharon

"Sharon" wrote in message
I am trying a mail merge from MS Word 2003. I am importing a list of
addresses from an excel spreadsheet. However when I am trying to send the
message it tries to send via my Outlook Express(though my default mail
client
is MS Outlook) and comes up with the following error :

"The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered
the
server name correctly. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol: SMTP,
Port:
25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D"

I then tried to mail merge through my MS Outlook 2003 and its doing the
same
thing. All these messages are sitting in my Outlook Express outbox.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

OK,
a. it should have sent via Outlook 2003 before. I don't know why it didn't.
b. the reason it probably won't work via Outlook Express at the moment is
probably because you haven't set up an Outlook Express account (or at least,
not the SMTP "send" part of it).
c. if you need to get your merge to email emails out then you may have to
use Outlook Express for the moment, in which case you'll need to set up an
e-mail account. I'm not going to try to lead you through that but let's just
say that if your Outlook 2003 account is set up to receive via POP3 and send
via SMTP then the Outlok Express settings should be the same or similar: you
should be able to copy them by hand.

Is your Outlook 2003 e-mail set up to use POP3/SMTP, or do you normally go
via an Exchange server or some other sort of server?

Peter Jamieson

news

"Sharon" wrote in message
I am trying a mail merge from MS Word 2003. I am importing a list of
addresses from an excel spreadsheet. However when I am trying to send
the
message it tries to send via my Outlook Express(though my default mail
client
is MS Outlook) and comes up with the following error :

"The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have
entered
the
server name correctly. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol: SMTP,
Port:
25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D"

I then tried to mail merge through my MS Outlook 2003 and its doing the
same
thing. All these messages are sitting in my Outlook Express outbox.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

OK, for HTML mail you /must/ use Outlook 2003: Outlook Express definitely
won't do it. But it's also possible that some configurations of Outlook 2003
won't do it (i.e. it may depend on what server you're using, and so on).

Peter Jamieson

"Sharon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sharon Sharon is offline

Hey Peter,

My Outlook is setup to use Exchange Server. I have no idea why its not
sending as HTML. It goes fine as attachments and plain text. Its a newsletter
so HAS to go as HTML. I tried doing it through Word 2003 and Outlook 2003 but
still same.

Sharon

"Sharon" wrote in message
I am trying a mail merge from MS Word 2003. I am importing a list of
addresses from an excel spreadsheet. However when I am trying to send
the
message it tries to send via my Outlook Express(though my default mail
client
is MS Outlook) and comes up with the following error :

"The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have
entered
the
server name correctly. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol: SMTP,
Port:
25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D"

I then tried to mail merge through my MS Outlook 2003 and its doing the
same
thing. All these messages are sitting in my Outlook Express outbox.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hold on a minute - I'm now confused again. Are you saying that you have been
able to merge to e-mail via Word 2003 and Outlook 2003? But only non-HTML
mails?

Typically when you merge to Outlook 2003 you get a number of security
prompts (unless you're using HTML) - are you seeing those?

Peter Jamieson

news

"Sharon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sharon Sharon is offline

Hi Peter,

Yes thats correct.I do see the security prompts and the email merge works
fine if in the electronic mail options I select 'attactment' or 'plain text'
.. However it doesnt give me any prompts or doesnt send the email if I try and
select HTML option to send some HTML content.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

news Hi Peter,

"Sharon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

OK,

There is probably an Outlook configuration problem. However, I have seen
people report this kind of problem before and it has rarely been possible to
get to the bottom it it.

But for starters...
Do you have any "COM Add-ins" in Outlook (you can check in
Outlook|Tools|Options|Other|"Advanced Options"|"COM Addins". If you do, try
disabling them temporarily.

Peter Jamieson

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

news Hi Peter,

"Sharon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sharon Sharon is offline

Hi Peter,

I dont have any COM Add-ins. Any other suggestions?

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Hold on a minute - I'm now confused again. Are you saying that you have
been
able to merge to e-mail via Word 2003 and Outlook 2003? But only non-HTML
mails?

Typically when you merge to Outlook 2003 you get a number of security
prompts (unless you're using HTML) - are you seeing those?

Peter Jamieson

news Hey Peter,

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

news Hi Peter,

"Sharon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

One thing it may be worth trying is attempting the same merge on another
system with a similar configuration (if that is possible), to discover
whether the problem exists on "every" system or just yours.

Other than that, find out whether your Outlook installation uses a local
..pst or .ost file? (you will probably find these files by looking in

C:\Documents and Settings\yourloginname\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook

and you might have to use Windows Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View to make
hidden files visible)

If so, it may be worth running the file chack/repair utility scanpst.exe or
scanost.exe, which you will probably find in

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033

in an English-language installation.

If that doesn't make any difference, the next step is probably to remove and
recreate your Outlook profile, however, at that point I really think you
should take this up in an Outlook group or even submit a proper support
incident to Microsoft.

Peter Jamieson

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Hold on a minute - I'm now confused again. Are you saying that you
have
been
able to merge to e-mail via Word 2003 and Outlook 2003? But only
non-HTML
mails?

Typically when you merge to Outlook 2003 you get a number of security
prompts (unless you're using HTML) - are you seeing those?

Peter Jamieson

news Hey Peter,

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

news Hi Peter,

"Sharon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sharon Sharon is offline

Hi Peter,
My Outlook installation uses .pst files. But when I try to run the repair
utility that you mentioned and when I look (browse) for my .pst file under
C:\Documents and Settings\yourloginname\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook, it doesnt display any. Could you please tell me is there anywhere else that I have to look for it?

Sharon

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Hold on a minute - I'm now confused again. Are you saying that you
have
been
able to merge to e-mail via Word 2003 and Outlook 2003? But only
non-HTML
mails?

Typically when you merge to Outlook 2003 you get a number of security
prompts (unless you're using HTML) - are you seeing those?

Peter Jamieson

news Hey Peter,

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

news Hi Peter,

"Sharon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hi Sharon,

I take it you are substituting your own login name for yourloginname ?

You may need to make these folders visible as I described before. Or your
..ost/.pst may be somewhere else - you can usually right-click on the C:\
drive in Windows Explorer and use the search facility to look for *.ost
and/or *.pst - but even that may not look inside hidden folders properly
unless you make them visible.

Peter Jamieson

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Hold on a minute - I'm now confused again. Are you saying that you
have
been
able to merge to e-mail via Word 2003 and Outlook 2003? But only
non-HTML
mails?

Typically when you merge to Outlook 2003 you get a number of
security
prompts (unless you're using HTML) - are you seeing those?

Peter Jamieson

news Hey Peter,

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

news Hi Peter,