Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
A Noblitt A Noblitt is offline

Default How do I print names and addresses on a preprinted postcard?

I have a file that originated in MS Excel with names and addresses. I want
to send each of them a preprinted 4.25" x 5.5" postcard, and have the printer
print the address on each postcard. Using the mail merge function of MS Word
doesn't seem to be working and is just frustrating me. Any ideas on steps to
take to get this working right?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If they are individual postcards this is a straightforward letter merge. If
they are microperforated cards 3 or 4 to a sheet then it would be a label
merge. For either - http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm
should help.

A Noblitt wrote:
I have a file that originated in MS Excel with names and addresses.
I want to send each of them a preprinted 4.25" x 5.5" postcard, and
have the printer print the address on each postcard. Using the mail
merge function of MS Word doesn't seem to be working and is just
frustrating me. Any ideas on steps to take to get this working right?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
A Noblitt A Noblitt is offline

Thank you Graham. That was a wonderful write-up that you had, and it cleared
up a lot of my mail merge questions.

I wasn't able to make this work with letters (due to page size), so chose
the label route, and found a postcard in that menu that matches the size that
I have. Everything is working except that I can't get the name and address
to print in the lower right quarter of the postcard. MS Word wants to print
it near the top or middle right, and nothing that I do seems to correct that.
Any suggestions?

A Noblitt wrote:
I have a file that originated in MS Excel with names and addresses.
I want to send each of them a preprinted 4.25" x 5.5" postcard, and
have the printer print the address on each postcard. Using the mail
merge function of MS Word doesn't seem to be working and is just
frustrating me. Any ideas on steps to take to get this working right?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Text in a table is subject to the same formatting commands as any other
text. By means of a combination of cell alignment and paragraph formatting
you can place the text anywhere in the cell. Start with the cell alignment
to 'Top' use spacing before the first paragraph around 2" and if you want it
on the right set a tab stop.

A Noblitt wrote:
I have a file that originated in MS Excel with names and addresses.
I want to send each of them a preprinted 4.25" x 5.5" postcard, and
have the printer print the address on each postcard. Using the mail
merge function of MS Word doesn't seem to be working and is just
frustrating me. Any ideas on steps to take to get this working
right?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
A Noblitt A Noblitt is offline

Graham,

Thank you. My formatting seems to be okay left-to-right. It is the
distance from the top that is causing me problems. I had thought that I
could fix it with a Format-Paragraph command or something in page setup, but
it doesn't seem to be working. On my screen, I can see four postcards that
are correct in every other way.

Thanks again for your help. Sorry to be a bother.

A Noblitt wrote:
I have a file that originated in MS Excel with names and addresses.
I want to send each of them a preprinted 4.25" x 5.5" postcard, and
have the printer print the address on each postcard. Using the mail
merge function of MS Word doesn't seem to be working and is just
frustrating me. Any ideas on steps to take to get this working
right?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Select the first line of the address. Right click paragraph in the space
before box type (say) 2". This will drop that line by two inches. The rest
will surely follow. Propagate the labels to add the changes to the other
labels.

A Noblitt wrote:
I have a file that originated in MS Excel with names and
addresses. I want to send each of them a preprinted 4.25" x 5.5"
postcard, and have the printer print the address on each
postcard. Using the mail merge function of MS Word doesn't seem
to be working and is just frustrating me. Any ideas on steps to
take to get this working right?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
A Noblitt A Noblitt is offline

Graham,

I wasn't able to get that to work. However, I think that I found a
work-around by having the postcards pretend to be envelopes. Thanks again
for all of your assistance.

Sincerely,
Alan Noblitt