Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Deon Deon is offline

Default no spell check in word - 2007

Hi there.
Word is not helping me at all. It seems as if Word has no spell checker
installed. I even un-installed the whole package with no luck.
Words spelled incorrectly aren't marked red and therefor no option to
correct it.

Another funny thing is that New documents after opening word, start at
Document2.

Hope someone can help me.

deon
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dan[_2_] Dan[_2_] is offline

I suddenly have the same problem. Thanks Deon, I didn't notice it was
starting at doc2. I've re-installed, deleted normal.dot, checked all
proofing settings, triple checked language settings. read hours worth of KB,
but nothing resolves this. Is this virus related?
Thanks,
Dan
"Deon" wrote in message
Hi there.
Word is not helping me at all. It seems as if Word has no spell checker
installed. I even un-installed the whole package with no luck.
Words spelled incorrectly aren't marked red and therefor no option to
correct it.

Another funny thing is that New documents after opening word, start at
Document2.

Hope someone can help me.

deon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dan[_2_] Dan[_2_] is offline

I burned a support incident to resolve this. There is not yet a public KB.
Spell Check was not working in any office 2007 app. I installed 2007 over
Office 2003 in case that matters.

Resolution:
run "Regedit"
Traverse through the tree
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Software
Microsoft
Shared Tools
Proofing Tools
1.0
Override
en-US (english, US in my case, your language may vary)
There are three entries. (default) dll, and lex
Rename or delete DLL and LEX (rightclick, rename) to something like "oldDLL"

Any document or file that I had saved during this problem, I had to open the
doc, click the round start button in the app, then click the "Word Options"
button on the bottom of the dialog box, then Proofing, then Check Document
button, yes. The red squigglies will appear.

Good luck! Took me 3 hours on a PSS call to resolve this. I hope I save
someone else the trouble.