Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
scottrogers scottrogers is offline

Default replace auto page breaks with section breaks

I have created a huge (20+MB) baseline document with automatic page breaks. I
now need to convert all those automatic page breaks to next-page section
breaks so that I can edit each page independent of the rest of the pages.
That is, if I need to add text to page 120 in the middle of the doc, I can't
let the text roll on page 121 - those pages need to be kept unchanged. (If
the additional text rolls onto a new page, it will be numbered something like
120a, 120b, etc.)

Is there an automatic way to do that? Find/Replace doesn't look promising. I
hope somebody already has a macro out there to do this sort of thing ...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Scott,

What you're asking can be done in code, but you could just as easily insert hard page breaks instead.

There is a fundamental flaw with what you're asking, however, in that what constitutes a page in Word largely depends on the printer
driver being used - quite apart from mundane things like paper sizes & margins. So, simply changing the printer driver's
configuration or attaching a different printer to the document can change where the automatic page breaks would occur. You could
very easily find yourself in the situation where you've set you hard page breaks or section breaks and have a change of printer
leave all of those as the first line on the next page ...

Do you *really* want to do this?

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"scottrogers" wrote in message ...
I have created a huge (20+MB) baseline document with automatic page breaks. I
now need to convert all those automatic page breaks to next-page section
breaks so that I can edit each page independent of the rest of the pages.
That is, if I need to add text to page 120 in the middle of the doc, I can't
let the text roll on page 121 - those pages need to be kept unchanged. (If
the additional text rolls onto a new page, it will be numbered something like
120a, 120b, etc.)

Is there an automatic way to do that? Find/Replace doesn't look promising. I
hope somebody already has a macro out there to do this sort of thing ...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
scottrogers scottrogers is offline

As strange as it may seem, yes this is what I really want to do. In my
scenario, we have delivered paper copies to the customer, so that's all they
know. I understand printer drivers may affect page breaks, so I would love to
know how to take that into account in the macro. For what it's worth, we
actually convert the Word doc to PDF and print delivery copies from that.

"macropod" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod macropod is offline

"scottrogers" wrote in message ...
I understand printer drivers may affect page breaks, so I would love to
know how to take that into account in the macro.

Hi Scott,

A macro can't take account of what a change of printer driver might do after it's been run. The best you could hope for is a process
that deletes the existing page breaks and inserts new ones - but that might compromise whatever other work you've done with your a/b
pagination.

However, from what you've said so far, it seems as if each new page probably begins with a new paragraph. If that is so, the best
solution might be to format the first paragraph on each such page with the 'insert page break before' attribute (see under
Format|Paragraph). Better still, if each such paragraph has a unique style, format that style with the 'insert page break before'
attribute.

Cheers
--
macropod