Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
James Q James Q is offline

Default Outline Numbering

Hello all

I'm using Word 2003. I've got a document in which I've set up Heading styles
from Levels 1 to 4. So, Level 1 is number 1, Level 2 is numbered 1.1, Level 3
is numbered 1.1.1, and Level 4 is numbered 1.1.1.1

What I want to do is remove the numbering from Level 1, but for it to remain
as Level 1, and for the other levels to keep their numbering as they are now.
So instead of it being (for example):

3. Chapter Three
3.1 Introduction
3.1.1 Details

It would be:

Chapter 3
3.1 Introduction
3.1.1 Details

At the moment, if I remove the numbering from Level 1, none of the Levels
restart their numbering at the start of a new Chapter (they carry on as
1.whatever).

I hope that's enough of an explanation

Thanks

James

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Select a Heading 1 item, then choose Format - Bullets and Numbering -
Outline Numbered tab, Customize.

With Level set at 1, under Number format: insert the word Chapter before the
1 that's showing. Then click OK.

This way... you won't even need to type the word "Chapter", as it will be
incorporated into the automatic numbering scheme.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"James Q" James wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
James Q[_2_] James Q[_2_] is offline

That worked..... up to a point.

I kind of wanted it to say "Chapter One" instead of "Chapter 1". If I change
the Number Style to be "One, Two, Three", the rest of the levels become
"One.1" or "One.1.1"

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kerry K Kerry K is offline

Herb, James and Suzanne:
I am having a similar problem but when I do as you suggest Herb the
subsequent numbering is wrong.
I get a . before each outline number so that it looks like this:
Chapter 1 Introduction
..1.1 sub heading
..1.1.1 sub sub heading
etc.
How do I get rid of that dot?

Also Suzanne, what effect does ticking legal numbering have?

My issue is that I want to be able to use the automatic Chapter numbering in
the outline numbered menu but I then want to be able to use the outline
heading numbering for the remainder of the chapter. so that I have
Chapter 1 Introduction
1.1 subheading
1.1.1 sub sub heading
1.2 sub heading
etc
chapter 2 Literature Review
2.1 etc

But whenever I swith from Outline Numbering chapter headings to Outline
heading numbering I lose my "chapter" name.

Is there any way I can use word so that both operate authomatically?

Regards
Kerry K

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kerry K Kerry K is offline

I have a similar problem to James, but when I follow your suggestion Herb, I
end up with a rogue dot . It ends up looking like this:
Chapter 1
..1.1
..1.1.1
..1.1.1.1
How do I get rid of that first . ?
And how do I make it automatically go to Chapter 2?

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To get rid of the period, just delete it from the "Number format" box
(in the Customize Outline Numbered style dialog box), for each level
where you see it.

If this doesn't fix things, it will be easier to start fresh: Delete
everything in the "Number format" box and put the relevant items back.
To add the numbering for the current level, use the "Number style" box.
To add higher level numbers, use the "Previous level numbers" box. Type
periods and other static text.

The "Legal numbering" option displays all numbers as Arabic even if it
is formatted differently. For example, you can check the option when you
want level 2 to display as all Arabic numbers, even if it includes level
1 that is formatted as Roman numerals.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to what Stefan has said, although the most common conversion is I,
II, III in Level 1 to 1, 2, 3 in Level 2, you could equally well have
Chapter One, Two, Three in Level 1 and still have 1, 2, 3, in Level 2.

Also, to further clarify, shaded numbers in the "Number format" box are
inserted by Word when you choose previous levels and/or a "Number style" for
the current level. Anything that is not shaded is plain text that you can
type in. So any extraneous periods can be removed (or replaced with hyphens,
colons, or anything else you like), and static text such as "Chapter" can be
added.