Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cricket_kay cricket_kay is offline

Default Page orientation and margins

Hello,
I am working on a lengthy doc - over 55 pages. I had it in Landscape
orginally but was asked to convert to Portrait. Now, even though the margins
reflect 1" all the way around, the pages still print (in portrait format) as
though the layout is still at Landscape. This means that the text is in the
upper left of the page - the right margin is large and the bottom margin is
large.
I have even copied and pasted the contents as RTF into a new doc thinking I
could get rid of the formatting.

Reveal Format shows the correct setting but the printing is not correct at
all. The page size is at Letter/ 8.5 x 11.
I did notice that I keep having to reset the "Apply to" to Whole Document as
it keeps wanting to default to This Section. I do have five sections using
the Section Break as Page break. I did go into format columns and chose "1"
as I saw suggested a few times.

Please help! This is due by the end of the day and the printing seems to
have a bug!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

My guess is that your problems could be related to track changes. A couple of
things you could check:

Does your document have comments or tracked changes?
If you have turned on Balloons in Tools Options Track Changes tab and if
you are in €śFinal Showing Markup€ť view (Reviewing toolbar), Word will make a
wide right margin for the balloons.

At the bottom of the Track Changes tab you will also find the setting "Paper
Orientation". Has this setting been set to "Force Landscape"? In that case,
change the setting to "Preserve".

From Word's online help about the "Paper orientation" setting:
Sets the paper orientation when you print a document and its tracked changes
or comments. Click Auto to let Word determine the best orientation. Click
Preserve to keep the orientation specified in the Page Setup dialog box.
Click Force Landscape to allow the most room for your balloons.

You will find helpful information about Track Changes he
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/trac...ngesWorks.html

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"cricket_kay" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The large right and bottom margins usually indicate that Track Changes is
set to display balloons and there is at least one tracked change -- or at
least Word "thinks" there is. The right margin is reserved for the balloons,
and the bottom margin is enlarged to keep the page proportional.

If you don't have any tracked changes, something might have happened in the
orientation switchover to make it seem there are.

Anyway, turn on the Reviewing toolbar, click the down arrow on the Accept
button, and choose Accept All. Also go into the Track Changes options and
set the Use Balloons dropdown to Never.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

cricket_kay wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cricket_kay cricket_kay is offline

Thanks to you both!!! I work with Word all the time and that Reviewing stuff
still acts as a "gotcha" when I leat expect it! You were both right about it
being the Balloon and Accept Changes options.

Again, I appreciate your help!

karenm