Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
GregNga GregNga is offline

Default re-starting page number

I have a document that I want to start printing the page number at the
beginning of the 2nd page, only thing is, I want to start with page number 1.
So, always want the page number to display as 1 less than the actual page
with no page number on the the first page. How to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:42:01 -0700, GregNga
wrote:

I have a document that I want to start printing the page number at the
beginning of the 2nd page, only thing is, I want to start with page number 1.
So, always want the page number to display as 1 less than the actual page
with no page number on the the first page. How to do this?

Here are three ways to do that:

1. If the unnumbered first page is a cover page or something of that
sort, insert a Next Page section break between that page and the start
of the regular document. In the second section, open the header (or
footer) area. On the Header/Footer toolbar, first click the Same As
Previous button to turn it off. Then click the Format Page Number
button on the toolbar and set the section to start at page 1. Finally,
click the Insert Page Number button on the toolbar. (Note: this is
_not_ the same as the Insert Page Number menu command, which is
fubared.)

2. If you don't want to insert any section break, you can fake the
numbering with a somewhat complex field construction. Use Ctrl+F9 to
insert each pair of matched braces in the following expression:

{ IF {PAGE} 2 "" "{= {PAGE} - 1}" }

Press F9 when it's done. This says "if the current page number is less
than 2, display nothing; if it's 2 or more, display the number that is
1 less than the current page number". In other words, the "real" page
number as shown on the status bar is still 2, but the field in the
header displays 1.

3. (Least desirable) In File Page Setup Layout, check "Different
first page". Leave the first page header/footer blank. In the second
page's header (which also applies to the rest of the document), insert
a page number. Click the Format Page Number button on the Header
toolbar and set the document to start at page 0.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman