Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
arcarbaugh

Default Make letterhead in Word and save it so it can not be altered?

I'm trying to make a letterhead for my organization. Various people will be
using the letterhead and I do not want them to be able to alter it in any
way. Is there a way to make the letterhead in the background so that they can
not accidently change it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor

There is no way to prevent it from being *deliberately* changed, but for
*accidental* changes, putting the letter head in the first page header is
usually sufficient. See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

arcarbaugh wrote:
I'm trying to make a letterhead for my organization. Various people
will be using the letterhead and I do not want them to be able to
alter it in any way. Is there a way to make the letterhead in the
background so that they can not accidently change it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

It is usual to put the letterhead into a first-page header/footer. Take a
look at: How to set up letterhead or some other document where you want one
header on the first page and a different header on other pages.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This gives step-by-step
instructions. (It also has the following links)

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Tips and Instructions
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial

Template Basics
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

How to Create a Template - Part 2 - essential reading
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

You can make it difficult to edit by protecting the template as an online
form.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordw...rces.htm#Forms
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...PlusHeader.htm

Note that anything someone can see, they can copy. If they can copy it, they
can edit it. Protecting it this way makes it more difficult to copy or edit.
Certainly, it prevents someone from doing it by accident.
Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"arcarbaugh" wrote in message
I'm trying to make a letterhead for my organization. Various people will
be
using the letterhead and I do not want them to be able to alter it in any
way. Is there a way to make the letterhead in the background so that they
can
not accidently change it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Swami

What about making the letterhead a locked word template (say letterhead.dot)
then make it a Read Only file in Explorer? Then each user must save their
document as a named file different to the letterhead and different for each
letter which is sent on that letterhead. Did I miss something?