Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] lsilverman@yahoo.com is offline

Default Fails on HTML, works on plaintext and attachment

Environment is Office Professional 2003 running on Windows Server 2008
using terminal services.

When I try to execute a mail merge using the HTML option, it fails
silently. No mail is delivered, and nothing in the sent-mail folder
or outbox in outlook. When I use the "As attachment" or "Plaintext"
modes, it works fine -- asks me to authorize the application to use
outlook, etc.

Seems like the merge to HTML is calling a different mechanism to send
the message, and somehow that's gotten corrupted. Any suggestions how
to fix it?

Incidentally and maybe related, often after attempting a mail merge,
when Outlook is restarted it complains that it is not the default
email program.

Thanks,
Lee Silverman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] lsilverman@yahoo.com is offline

Problem is some kind of corruption in the MAPI system. Apparently
Word uses Simple MAPI for attachment and plaintext merges, but
Extended MAPI for HTML merges.

Anyway, the fix involves a registry edit. Find:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / Microsoft / Windows Messaging
Subsystem / MSMapiApps

You'll see a series of programs and dll's listed as keys, and then
various clients (generally "Microsoft Outlook") listed for each key.
Create new entries for "word.exe" and "winword.exe" and enter
"Microsoft Outlook" as the value. Should work fine after that.

More details can be found in this article from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315458

Lee

On Jan 5, 11:16*pm, wrote:
Environment is Office Professional 2003 running on Windows Server 2008
using terminal services.

When I try to execute a mail merge using the HTML option, it fails
silently. *No mail is delivered, and nothing in the sent-mail folder
or outbox in outlook. *When I use the "As attachment" or "Plaintext"
modes, it works fine -- asks me to authorize the application to use
outlook, etc.

Seems like the merge to HTML is calling a different mechanism to send
the message, and somehow that's gotten corrupted. *Any suggestions how
to fix it?

Incidentally and maybe related, often after attempting a mail merge,
when Outlook is restarted it complains that it is not the default
email program.

Thanks,
Lee Silverman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mambo King Mambo King is offline

Lee,

I tried your solution but it didn't work. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Mambo
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Ted Reece Ted Reece is offline

I am having the same problem with Office XP using Windows XP. I modified the
registry as suggested but it did not solve the problem. I have had success
using Office 2007 on another computer that is running on Vista Business. I
checked the registry and it does not contain the suggested entries for
word.exe or winword.exe. Let me know if you hear of any other suggestions.

On Jan 5, 11:16 pm, wrote:
Environment is Office Professional 2003 running on Windows Server 2008
using terminal services.

When I try to execute a mail merge using the HTML option, it fails
silently. No mail is delivered, and nothing in the sent-mail folder
or outbox in outlook. When I use the "As attachment" or "Plaintext"
modes, it works fine -- asks me to authorize the application to use
outlook, etc.

Seems like the merge to HTML is calling a different mechanism to send
the message, and somehow that's gotten corrupted. Any suggestions how
to fix it?

Incidentally and maybe related, often after attempting a mail merge,
when Outlook is restarted it complains that it is not the default
email program.

Thanks,
Lee Silverman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chris Chris is offline

Hello all,

i am experiencing the same issue with Office 2007 installed on a Terminal
server based on server 2008. does annybody have an idea how to fix this?